i'm getting my firewire mixer and i have a thousand questions!

willow

i will be getting my phonic 18 ch. firewire mixer monday. i have a new puter (HP dualcore AMD) ..couldn't get a custom built for many reasons.

anyway, as i noted in previous posts, i have been playing drums for over 30 years, and have done alot of recording, but i always just sat down and played and never really took part in learning much about engineering, especially in the digital domain.

i have a big drum set, but i probably will use only snare mics (2 snare drums) and a bass mic and two overheads.

i have so many questions, but i will start with just a few at a time.

this thread may go on forever :) and i appreciate the help from you guys!

ok, lets start with panning. i know about mic placements on the drums, how the different drums can be placed in the stereo field and using overheads for left and right hard panning. but my question is... panning is better done at the recording phase? if i set all the pan parameters when i record, then when i'm mixing later in sonar, i would leave everything in center, right?

what about if something was recorded without the panning set (everything in center)and you adjust it later in sonar. what differences occur with this method as opposed to the above?

another thing i'm wondering about is... with two consoles (one real and one in sonar) how does that work? does the real one control the one in sonar?

did i phrase these questions right? :)

thanks

panning during tracking is a waste of time, just record everything to its own track on Sonar, then you pan as you want. this way you have more control in the mix and wont ha ve to retrack if something ends up being not the way you want.

I can't answer you second question, i am fine just mixing in sonar.

Back