illegal operation ???

Alan

Here is the details of a illegal operation message I keep getting in CW7.
There does not seem to be any set format as to why, it can be any time when recording. When you hit the stop button to stop recording this is what you get.

This program has caused an Illegal operation and will be shut down
Details :

CWPA caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 023f:bff9d709.
Registers:
EAX=c002f8d4 CS=023f EIP=bff9d709 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=008afe28 SS=0247 ESP=007afe20 EBP=007b00bc
ECX=00000000 DS=0247 ESI=009d0100 FS=0dff
EDX=007b0104 ES=0247 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 8b 15 dc 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
Stack dump

Any ideas ??????
Alan :o (

The short answer is, there was a conflict between CW and some other program. Does it always mention KERNEL32.DLL? I've seen this
behavior when I'm crazy enough to try to run CW without first shutting off After Dark, but I've also seen this (less frequently) when trying to run CW with other programs. Examples are Netscape Communicator, EZ-CD Creator, MS Excel, MS Access, Jammer, PGP and a host of others. CW just doesn't play well with others. While I still use CW for MIDI production, I gave up on it completely as a multitracking audio program for precisely the reason you mentioned. The really frustrating part was that it sometimes <didn't> crash while I was trying to recreate the environment that caused the last crash.

Problem is I never run other programs whilst using CW7,and as you say there is no set pattern to it. You can go for weeks with no probs at all, and then at other times( like now )it just plays up. Huh....go figure!!!!
I've come to the conclusion that Calkwalk is female software.....no logic to it what so ever !!!! LOL. ( sorry to our female friends out there ) Does CW8 suffer from the same probs ? If I was to go for Cubase which version ? I have an old version on CD (Ver 1.6) will that do the job ?
Anywaze thanks for the help.
Later....Alan : )

Unbeknownst to most windows users, there are a host of programs running in the background even when no programs are running at all. If your application picks a fight with any of these- it's time for the three finger salute. Where's that Linux topic group when you really need it? :)

CW Pro Audio 8 is doing the same thing for me occasionally. Whenever I use the Directx Plugin effects from the CW audio pack 1&2. Also it seems not to like Windows (98 on my computer) itself. The error is always in the kernal Gdi and User. This leads me to believe that CW has a problem with the interaction with the OS over hardware handling (such as when starting/stopping record/playback)

I'm getting really pissed with this now!!! (excuse me but its 02.17am and my patience is at an end)I have now reached the point were it (CW) will not let me edit anything in anyway shape or fashion without giving me the finger by way of the illeagal operation message. I know you guys have experienced the same thing, so what are your tips for getting back to something resembling normality.
Thanks .....Alan :(

[This message has been edited by Alan (edited 07-12-1999).]

This is where it gets interesting...

Solving Windows application conflicts are always fun. The first thing to do is backup you work files and then un-install and re-install Cakewalk. I know it's a bitch but it should do the trick in 75-80% of cases. Also get the latest drivers for your sound card.

After doing this, if it is still GPFing (illegal operation in 95/98 speak), try a new file in cakewalk, not one of your projects. If it works, then your project files may be dead, if it doesn't...well it may be time to perhaps clean up your hard disk, backup your data and reinstall your OS.

I'm actually a computer tech in real life so I get these sort of conflicts all the time. You could go through and find what the problem is without re-installing your OS, but in the long run it'll save you time, effort and sanity.

On a side point, anyone know any good Linux sequencers like Cakewalk?

Back