I want to use the sounds from my Roland Fantom X6 in Sonar Platinum as a synth

kingy75

I want to use the sounds from my Roland Fantom X6 in Sonar Platinum as a synth and I'm in need of some help with setup.

My current setup is:

Fantom MIDI Out connected to MOTU MicroLite MIDI In 1

MOTU MicroLite MIDI Out 1 connected to Fantom MIDI 1

I'm not sure how to route the MIDI tracks in Sonar so they will play back using the Fantom sounds...I want to record MIDI sequences in Sonar using the sounds from my Fantom then record the audio into Sonar. I assume this should all work if I connect my Fantom's audio outs to my audio interface's audio ins?

Hi,
I don't know Sonar so I can't help with specifics,
but speaking broadly what you want to do is perfectly possible.

In Protools, anyway, I would have an instrument or midi track with midi data on there, and I could set the midi output to MyInterface/Channel 1, or omni if you're only dealing with one.
With a midi cable connected from interface out to synth in, and the synth set to expect data on channel 1 (or omni, as I say), the synth should receive the data when your DAW is playing.

If that all checks out then you can route analog line audio from the synth back to a new channel in your daw and record to that.

If you are recording analog audio back then you don't need the midi cable from synth out to interface in, but it'll do no harm being there.

Hopefully a Sonar user can be more specific but, yeah, the general idea is good. :)

Back