HS02 newbie - session drummer questions

rainday

Hi all, what a GREAT board, have been perusing the posts all morning. Just got HS02, i handle the technical end, my sweetie is the musician. We are BOTH extremely new to digital recording. He has been recording for some years with an old 4-track Tascam. Basically he sings and plays guitar, and has been using the drum machine on his keyboard for accompaniment (not great, but, it worked). Now that we've entered the digital age, we have a question about the session drummer feature!

So far we've successfully created a test project, laid down multiple audio tracks, created a MIDI track and opened the session drummer for same. NOW we are faced with an unholy number of styles and patterns and frankly, we're a little overwhelmed. It's enough that we've never worked with loops before; i can probably get around the technical end. But how on EARTH do we sort through ALL the different styles and patterns to find one that he likes? Do you just test them until you basically know them all? Even narrowing it down to blues and rock - the sheer scope of it is daunting. Any ideas or experiences you can share on this issue?

I've also drawn the conclusion that it's probably better to select the basic drum pattern we want to use BEFORE we lay down the audio track, since now we can't seem to get the beat to match our music. Is that about right? How do you folks deal with matching audio to MIDI drums?

If we change the tempo/meter of the project, will it speed/slow down the drum pattern?

Finally: it appears to me that the drum PATTERN must be looped to get a recurring beat. Ergo, the drum pattern is not the same as a drum machine.

Answers to these question and ANY helpful tips will be MUCH MUCH appreciated.

The Session Drummer feature in HS2002 lives a little to be desired. :(

The styles are "elementary" to say the least.

Have you tried playing with the ACID drum loops included on the HS2002 CD? The selection is much broader and file names are much more descriptive. They will sound much better than Session Drummer because they are actual audio recordings of a drummer playing. The cool thing about ACID Loops is that they can be time stretched to fit different tempos with no change to pitch.

Very cool stuff...

Back