Thread: howcome i cant playback more than 8 trax??

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    is it me or my soundcard er what...but when i get to track 9 it says ill have to mute another channel in order to playback or record....help!!!

Thanks

Cool

Hey, I'm not an expert on these things, but its prob. your soundcard or your memory.

BBlak

Thanks

Wink

You neglected to mention what Cakewalk product and version you are using.

Whatever you are using, it is limited to 8-tracks and you ain't gonna get any more without upgrading software. Dem's da breaks.

Thanks

Wink

thanx fellas...im using cakewalk home studio 9...and i have a soundblaster awe 64. i know its a weak card, but cool edit allows me unlimited trax...whats the deal?

Thanks

Wink

Home studio 9 only allows 8 stereo tracks.

If your recording mono sound sources, there should be a way recording the track mono, instead of stereo. This would give you 16 mono tracks.

Thanks

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Home Studio is limited to 8 audio tracks. Does a stereo audio track equal two tracks or one?
    A stereo audio track is counted as one track, not two. You can therefore record up to 8 tracks of stereo audio, which is the equivalent of 16 mono tracks. You are limited to 8 mono tracks, so by recording stereo tracks in version 9.0 you're essentially doubling your audio track capability. Cool!

-- From the Home Studio FAQ page <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhh, yeah... cool! Unless you don't want 8 tracks panned hard left and 8 tracks panned hard right. Your best bet is to get your mix sounding good, and then bounce multiple tracks to a single track. This gets tedious if you have a lot of tracks and/or decide to change individual levels or effects later (which I almost always do). Or you could upgrade to Pro Audio 9, which has unlimited tracks.

I don't like this marketing approach, personally. Since the development has already been done for Pro Audio, it would cost Cakewalk NOTHING to put unlimited tracks into Home Studio. They sell you a crippled piece of software cheaper, knowing that a lot of folks will upgrade when the outgrow 8 tracks. That said, I do use Cakewalk for almost all my mixes. It's a love/hate thing.

Thanks

Wink

If they put unlimited tracks in Cakewalk Home Studio, it would be Pro Audio 9.

I wouldn't call it crippled. Just cheaper.

Thanks

Wink

Cheaper, as in a lower $ package for a different market.

PG: I had an alternate reply here, but after rereading your quote... that is a damn scam. In samplitude Basic you can record 16 mono tracks, or 8 stereo... not this 8 tracks period.

Misleading for sure.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 05-30-2000).]

Thanks

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If they put unlimited tracks in Cakewalk Home Studio, it would be Pro Audio 9<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly. Not that _I_ can tell them what they can charge for what they offer. I just have lots of opinions and no problems spouting off about it.

It makes more sense to me to just drop the price of CPA a bit and offer a demo to the cost conscious part of the market in today's climate. But folks would have to stop buying the track limited software before Cakewalk would even consider it, I imagine. That shouldn't take long once the word gets out.

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 05-30-2000).]

Thread Information