How to transpose on midi music recorcoded to cakewalk

Dave Frye

How do you get the Cakewalk to transpose the key of music I want to record for my sinnger to sing in? As you can see I am not a real hotshot on computer. Ole Dave

I assume you are talking about midi tracks which have alredy been recorded. If so, highlight the tracks you want to transpose, go to edit, click on transpose and enter the amount you want to change. Be a bit careful, if you choose all the tracks (by double clicking in the number 1 of the first track), you will also be choosing the percussion tracks, and you probably don't want to transpose them.

Here is another way. In the tracks view there is a column named "key". Highlight a track in this column and use the + or - keys of your keypad to raise and lower midi pitch.

One "danger" of changing track properties is that if you are looking at the midi notes in staff view, it doesn't change them. (e.g., a C will still be a C if you tell it to transpose in the track view). I have forgotten that I transposed in track view and have been very confused.... come to think of it, I'm always confused.

< Good Point >

This is one of many constant dangers shared by all midi enthusiasts - myself included - don't feel like the lone ranger, rjt. I prefer, in most situations, to sing to the key. Foundation and a solid base are so important to the essentials of good songwriting - but oftentimes it is overlooked, in an effort to find "the quick hit".

Back