how long, how long, mp3 blues

trucker dave

it takes almost 2 whole minutes for cakewalk pro audio 9 to convert my two tracks to a mp3 file at 128 kb sec. Is this normal? I've got a 600mhz processor and it seems like it ought to do it faster.

Please mention the size of the .wav files from which the .mp3 was encoded, not just the encoding rate.
Otherwise it's like saying. "You know- the moon ain't that big- I know I can lift it."

Do you mean the resulting MP3 file is 2MB? Otherwise that IS a short song. :)

If the MP3 is 2MB, then that seems like a long time, but I've never created an MP3 in Cakewalk, just other standalone MP3 encoders.

yeah, the mp3 is 2mb after conversion. It only takes about 15 seconds to rip and convert a song about that size off a cd using musicmatch jukebox, but that may just be the way that cakewalk works mixing to mp3. thanks.

did you 'mixdown audio' to an mp3 file?

if so, it will take long if you have lots of real-time effects.

it will have to process the effects plus encode the mp3

(just FYI, personally i dont like the cakewalk mp3 compression, i advise using an external encoder)

monty: dunno... just haven't really been that satisfied with the quality of the mp3 files i have produced using it.

I haven't done any side by side comparisons but I'm generally more satisfied when encoding with other mp3 encoding programs.

Don't pay too much attention to this though because I really haven't done any 'scientific' testing. As I said, I haven't done any side by side comparisons.

Back