How is the drum mapper in 2.0?

I have only used it a few times, but think it is a worthwhile feature. There is a tutorial in help topics which makes it pretty easy to use. Basically, it allows you to lay out a drum track, then decide where each individual note will send it's midi message. This lets you, for example, use your drum machine for a kick, your Roland for snare, your Korg for congas etc. etc. without using different tracks.

All in all, a pretty nice feature.

Take Care

The mapper also allows you to adjust individual velocities for each drum sound. This eliminates having to split to tracks to accomplish the same thing, namely, volume control on the snare, kick etc. This is a real time saver.

I use sound fonts extensively for drums (Giga too) and there is still the problem of frequency control of individual sounds. You still have to split to tracks then convert to audio to get the sounds to fit in the mix on occasion. However, lately I have been mixing around the tonal sounds of drumfonts and wave files to eliminate the split to tracks. The key is to find the right sounds initially or build 3 or 4 key drum sets prior to recording. Saves hours of time.

Back