How do you master in sonar

sausy1981

These are the steps I use when working in sonar x1 from start to finish, I start with a blank project page, If anyone has any suggestions feel free to reply.
1. Insert soft synt 'session drummer 3' and set up tracks and routing.
2. Use step sequencer to build drum track for entire song.
3. Then I record my rythem guitar
4. Then I record my bass track
5. Then maybe a 2nd guitar to accent certain passages
6. Then I record my vocals, (lead and backing)
7. Then I will record any lead guitar bits or little sounds to fill empty sections.

So now I have all my tracks down.

8. I begin to delete sections of each track where there is no audio and generally clean up the arrangement.
9. I start to mix, setting levels, getting compression right on each track, etc. etc

At this stage I know have my song mixed and all tracks going to my output bus.
Now this is where I might differ from other people using sonar x1 producer and I'm looking for a little feedback on this.

I export this mix to my finished mixes folder, then I close down the project window and open a new one.
I import my mix from finished mixes folder, On my project screen I have my track that I have imported in the tracks section (which is a waveform of my mix) and in the bus section I have my master bus, I route my track to the master bus and the master bus to my main output.
I put my mastering effects chain in the fx strip of my master bus and proceed to master my song using my effects processors.
When complete I export this file to my finished songs folder and the song is done ready to burn to cd or converted to mp3 for publishing on the net.

I'd really like to know what people think of how I do things and is there anything I might be able to do to improve how I work or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance guys.

One thing I do different is each of the songs are on their own track 1--- whatever, but still set one after the other on the time line.
Rather than plugs on the master bus, each song would have them in their FX bin. Similar to object oriented(?) in some apps, or doing it in clip FX.
Downside, more plugs running, (big) upside, with one master bus set of plugs what do you do with all the little song to song variations? Lots of automation?

That seems to work. Just make sure you move from 24 bit down to 16 bit as you output from your master to wav, otherwise you won't be able to make an audio cd.

Others would purchase Steinberg's Wave Lab and import your bounced track into it to do your mastering. I'd be curious to know what Windows software that guys who run a "real" mastering studio use - like "Massive Mastering", I wonder what he uses?

yeah I agree that you can put all your tracks on 1 timeline and master the whole lot for one album, I use the plug ins in sonar producer x1, work great for me.

I Like to use The Boost 11 I believe its called on teh master as the last thing before make a Wav file, myself with my limited Knowledge seems to allow me to get the loudest output file without running my Computer Audio Levels in the red and Clipping, If I don't I found I will have a spot here or there that clips no matter what I have tried but Boost has Eliminated that 100% and really cuts the time it takes me to create something down by a ton.

I do the same thing except for the last step. After I import the mixed down track to a new project, I add one effect at a time in the fxbin and then export it to audio. This way I can view the .wav file to see if I'm over compressing, over limiting, etc. I can hear each effect individually. Once I'm satisfied, I export/import that to a new track, mute the old track, and add the next effect.

I export all of my finished mixes to a 32 bit wav with the 64 bit engine engaged

These are then re-imported into my album project which has a mastering chain consisting primarily of T-Racks singles and the BlueCat Audio metering plug.

Then, I export from here, this time @ 16bit 44.1Khz.

This is then opened up in CD architect for indexing purposes. I do all my spacing & fades in the Sonar album project

Hey there
I have BlueCat's dynamics plug (and their fairly cool free bees
But I haven't checked into their meter. Extra special fatures there?

Yep - it does simultaneous Peak & RMS metering, full K-System integration, various other controls I've yet to get to grips with.

Great little plug, it's not free, but well worth the money.

Back