Ho to do a real mix?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I'm using Cakewalk guitar tracks, how the hell can I mix back down to the hard drive? The "mixdown" option just combines all the tracks down to two stereo tracks at what ever level you have them set at, you have no control over the mix! :mad: what good is that? Can I do a real mix?

I'm thinkig maybe that I could run a stereo cable from the line out, split it to my monitors and then back to the line in and record it onto media rack or something. I'm scared that would fry the sound card or something!!! I just don't want to have to mixdown to casette or and then go back into the computer to make Mp3's and such.

huh?....

-JHE

James HE:
Not sure what the problem is ? I assume Guitar tracks has a console view. You should be able to mix . . add effects . . . pan, etc. . . each individual track realtime as you playback. This is your mix ! Once your satisfied with it, then you mix down to two stereo tracks ( if you want ) . . kind of the same as going to cassette.

Your mix down stereo tracks should sound the same as your mix before the mixdown . . . make sense ? Then you export the stereo tracks to wav or mp3.

Regards,
PAPicker

I understand what you are saying, but as far as I know there isn't a way for me to arm the tracks to record what is being played back. My only options are the left and right line ins as far as a source to record, I may be missing the obvious, but I don't know how to change that.

OK duh... It finally came to me, what I have to do is to switch the record source from "line" to "mixer" in the Media rack! now I just have to find the right level to set it at! Yippie! Sometimes the simple stuff is the hardest to figure out. :D

Back