HELP! Sonar 1.3.1 Projects wont open!!

Fret

I have a couple of projects that worked fine two days ago but now they won’t open. It gets to the end of the opening progress bar and then everything just sits and flickers. Does anyone have any ideas?

Uh oh!

Try to open the files in "safe mode": Go File -> Open, select the project and hold the Shift-key while you click the "Open" button.

Hope that helps!

Does version 1.3.1 have that option? My understanding is that it is supposed to prompt me to load plugins but it doesn’t do anything different. It just opens and sits and flickers. I haven’t tried it with a project that actually works though.

I have tried running the wave profiler and settings the slider closer to the safe setting. I have also tried uninstalling some plugins hoping that it would load with out them.

Is it possible that it could be do to a corrupt audio file? I am thinking about moving the audio files out of the working folder to see if it would open. I’m thinking the next step would be to move the project to another computer.

Fret said:
Does version 1.3.1 have that option?
I'm not sure. I don't remember. But the reason Cakewalk gave us that feature is that most errors caused in project files (not bundles) are caused by virtual instruments.

Interesting

The only virtual instrument I am using is the Session drummer for a click track.

Other then that I am using basic Sonar plugins (compressor, EQ, Delay and Flange) and I had Voice Tweaker Light on a couple of tracks. I have uninstalled voice tweaker.

Would that be to reinstall Sonar 1 and then install the upgrades to 1.3.1?

Oops I just saw what you quoted. I'll try reinstalling Voice tweaker

I reinstalled Voice Tweaker and that didn’t help.

How do I get session drummer working again? It is still there but it is missing the Midi Synth. I think it should actually be the DXI soft synth but I thought that came with one of the Sonar updates. So I guess the question is where do I download that?

I reinstalled Sonar and the 1.3.1 update to get Sound Canvas working again so that has taken care of the virtual synth issue.

So the original issue still resides and I have now uninstalled and reinstalled my plugins.

After all of the playing I opened one of the projects that I have been having problems with and although it continued to hang and flicker when I select control alt delete and ended the task I was prompted to save my changes. I select Cancel and was left with a running project. I no longer have any plugins but all of the tracks are intact.

I have not been able to reproduce this with the original project that I was having problems with.

Ok. I got it figured out.

What I ended up doing was uninstalling one of the last plugins I had had added to the project. Then when I opened the project it opened fine with everything in take minus the one plug in.

I did a “Compact Audio Data” and saved the project

Reinstalled Sonar and updates

Opened the project.

Once I reopened the project it prompted me that it was removing plugins that were no longer on my system. Well once it did this all of the plugins were gone. Strange, but I was able to just re-add them and all of the other projects open just fine.

The next step was to compact the audio on all of the projects and save off bundle files.

It sounds like I need to upgrade to 4 so that I will have the option to open without loading plugins and avoid this in the future.

Fret said:
It sounds like I need to upgrade to 4 so that I will have the option to open without loading plugins and avoid this in the future.

Hi Fret, sorry I come too late, but if you hit shift key while opening a project, you'll open in "safe mode", so no plugins actualy loaded. Next time, when some project won't open, make sure you open it first in safe mode as it won't cost anything... :)

;)
Jaymz

Unfortunately that feature wasn’t available until ver 2. Ver 4 sure is looking appealing at this point. It looks like it’s time to upgrade, especially with the price break from 1 to 4.

Back