Help-- newbie to Cakewalk

Rhoadz

I wouldn't be too concerned. I use pro audio 8, i am very satisfied with my level of capabilities with it, and couldn't tell you what 3/4 of the gadgets do :)

Pro 8 was my first dive into the homerecording hullabaloo. I ran the tutorials then started goofing with it. My best advice is to stick with what you are comfortable with feature wise. If you don't know what it does, don't use it yet. As you find things that you want to do with your projects the help files can introduce the features to you one at a time.

On my first project i tried to use everything i could for weeks and it blew! Another night a friend came over to my place at midnight with a guitar and i had a mix in .wav format by 3 am. I only recorded, cut&paste, mixed in the console view and mixed down. With good material going into the computer you don't need much else.

I'll stop rambleing.

keep it simple, until you're ready for more.
the program works just fine even if you don't use the all the goofy stuff.

have fun!

ps i use a 15" monitor too. mabey we can start a support group for the viewable area challenged :)

I'm currently using cake 9. It may seem overwhelming at first, but just keep fiddling with it and it'll get easier.

I use a 15" monitor as well and it hasn't really been a problem for me.

Good Luck

I am brand new to home recording and originally after doing much reading decided to go with Cakewalk software. I have Professional 7 and have the upgrade to Pro Audio 9 ordered.
Does this program seem overwhelming to anybody else, or is it just me? So much of this is all greek to me. My biggest problem in the view menus. I only have a 15" monitor so the mixing window and the other windows don't fit into the screen. I can forsee this as being a huge hassle. Do you think I would be better suited to start off with n-track first? Some people say that's a little easier/user friendly? I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but man I find this discouraging.

have faith. I used cakewalk pro 8 for the first time about four months ago, and I was completely intimidated. Up until then I had been recording on a sony MD and knew nothing about recording with a pc. Now I'm burning my own cd's and the quality is getting better every day. As for your monitor you might try to adjust the number of pixels your using to get more of the console view in view.

I have been useing cakewalk one version or another for 10 years, had the first edition to pro 9...all the midi features are pretty much the same, but there is a bit of a learning curve to the pro audio...don't get to discouraged it takes time..when i got pro 9 i had to read the manuel several times to have it sink in ...and like i said i have been useing cakewalk for ten years..Its a great program..and by the way i have a 17" monitor and thats still not big enough...hang in the , you will be glad you did, because one day its all gona click for you, and you'll say to yourself geeze...thats how you do that !!!! and you will proceed to kick yourself in the ass like the rest of us have..good luck and hang in there...TDF

I keep dreaming of a four monitor video card...just enough room for the console, track and piano roll views, with one monitor to spare for aardvarks control panel : )

One thing that is useful for this, though, is setting up keyboard shortcuts for all the different views... I think you need pro audio for this to work, though.

William Underwood

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 01-11-2000).]

I have to say Ix-Nay on the four monitor setup. One monitor's worth of interference is bad enough. If you really want some SCREEN
try a video capture card (NTSC or whatever you can use) and a big screen TV. Otherwise, just get one bigger monitor. 19" monitors
are now under 4 bills.

Oh well, the best thing in my future is a 7 year old 19 inch monitor that I'll be inheriting in two weeks. Its previous owner is getting a 21 inch, PIII600, 256 megs, 40 gigs... I get the PI 166 it's replacing. Oh well, beggers can't be chosers : )

Come to think of it, that's not too bad for a beggar!

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 01-11-2000).]

Back