help me sync my audio tracks

jhira001

so i'm trying to transfer songs from my roland vs840 to my computer using sonar producer ed. and aardvark q10 sound card.

the 840 can output only 4 descrete tracks at one time . but many of my songs have 8 tracks. how can i sync the two sets of 4 tracks??? can i use midi? the 840 can output MTC, MIDI clock or sync track. it cannot slave.

i could try to press record and play at the same time (twice) to record the 8 tracks but that would be a pretty rough sync.

i've never used midi to sync audio tracks and i'm not even sure it's possible. your imput is appreciated!

jeff

jhira001,

I was in the same boat as you.. 840 to Sonar. You can sync the 840 to Sonar using MTC (or was it MMC). Check out page 556 onwards of the Sonar manual, read up about syncing it via MTC/MMC.

The 840 will have to be the master so it can send start/stop commands, just arm the tracks in Sonar and send the tracks 2 or 4 at a time.

I must admit I had problems with what sounded like skips through the file. I think it had something to do with the MIDI clock in the 840 not being the best, so in some instances I'd rewind both the 840 and Sonar, hit the Record button in Sonar (it would wait for the 840 to start to send data) and once audio started playing I'd unplug the midi cord from the 840 so I was using it just to sync the start of the song... I'm going to do my whole transfer project again because I've learnt so much over the last year.

Good luck!

Porter

Back