File Transfer & Defrag Integrity?

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
People,

[Didn't know where else to place this post...so I put it here, since it relates to my DAW (SONAR XL 2.2)]:

I am trying to balance audio file location (on the HD) as it relates to efficiency of operation, vs. the continual relocation/rewriting of those files. I understand that audio files are comprised of only numbers, but I wonder about the integrity of those numbers as they are rewritten from location to location (&...I've witnessed this topic going around before...some audiophiles say rewritten files are compromised...others say there is absolutely no change, whatsoever.)

So here are my questions (& these are basically OS questions, as it relates to the DAW...I am running XP):

First, a simple hierarchy type question: I have SONAR configured to place audio files specific to a project's folder. Sometimes it becomes necessary to move audio files/clips between projects.

So...is it correct to assume that...if I select & copy a file from one folder (in Windows Explorer); & paste it into another folder...the data is re-written? (so that there are then two complete files in two different locations?) Is it also correct to assume that...if I select & cut a file from one folder; & paste it into another folder...the location of that cut file does not change (on the HD), but only the path to that file changes? (& I know SONAR can also do this; & provide the option to move or refferrence from present location...but, for this question, I'm talking about transferring files manually with Windows Explorer.)

Second: In defragmentation, I understand that files are relocated on a contiguous framework, but what is the nature of the continuity (again, as it relates to the DAW)? Is it correct to assume that they are relocated with efficiency of operation (seeking, caching & playback in the app) as the consideration?

And...how does that all work (considering that...when we record, digital audio is recorded onto the HD in a continuous stream. Then, we clip & comp & slide, etc., etc...& SONAR then has to pointer the rearranged audio work back to the original raw streamed file.) So now, when defrag takes place...which framework is considered in this "contiguous" order: the original audio file, or the location of the various rearranged clips in the project?

Thanks,

mark4man

Hello,

Everything on your hard drive is just a sequence of 1's and 0's. Audio data is no different.

It is true to say if a file is copied from a location to location, that it is different ie., the data is living in a physically different location on the hard drive. It is not true to say that it has changed or degraded. As long as there was no data corruption during the copy process, the file is exactly the same.

The track/file will no longer have the original interleaving as created by the sequencer when originally recording the file, but so what -- it only becomes a problem if the computer can't handle the speed of hard disk read required to access the different chunks of data. Even if that was the case, running defrag would resolve the issue.

If you move or copy a file from the same partition to the same partition, the actual file location does not change physically on the hard drive. Rather, the file's location entry is re-written in the allocation table, (table of contents for all data on the drive). If you copy it to another partition, then it will re-create the data physically.

Some defragmenting programs allow you to specify the order of files on the hard drive -- the idea being the fastest access times are on the outside edge of the drive. I would suggest however, that this speed increase is negligible bordering on insignificant for any 7,200 rpm device.

All a Sonar .CWP does is reference a .WAV file and keep an index of your in and out points to manage the cut, copy and paste process. It is the operating system which keeps track of the location of the .WAV files referred to by the Sonar .CWP. It is the BIOS of your PC which translates operating system calls into sector read and writes of your hard drive and it is the hard drive itself which translates these sector read/write calls into physical action on the platter head.

So, the answer to your last paragraph is the operating system. The operating system tracks the physical location of the various .WAV files in your project while the .CWP file keeps track of which piece of which .WAV file gets played when. If you defrag, the operating system will supply the updated location of the .WAV file and your little, old .CWP file will neither care nor know that the original location has changed.

Bottom line -- don't worry about it. Just rock on.

Ciao,

Q.

Q,

As always, thanks.

mark4man

BTW - One of these days I'll stop tryin' to micro-manage everything.

Back