file degradation

sandro perri

hi...this is my first post on this wonderful site...i wish i had known about it earlier...

wondering if anyone can tell me about the possible dangers of continually saving a project in Sonar as a .BUN, burning it to disc, and then re-loading it onto your hard drive for further work. does this degrade the audio data in any way?

thanks,
sandro

i wasn't actually referring to disc errors, but more to the file degradation that occurs when you burn data to a disc. for example, when you work in 24-bit and burn an audio cd, you are degrading the audio down to 16-bit. my question is: does burning the cakewalk .BUN files as DATA cause this same bit-loss to happen to the audio data?

thanks,
sandro

sandro perri said:
hi...this is my first post on this wonderful site...i wish i had known about it earlier...

wondering if anyone can tell me about the possible dangers of continually saving a project in Sonar as a .BUN, burning it to disc, and then re-loading it onto your hard drive for further work. does this degrade the audio data in any way?

thanks,
sandro

sandro,

The only thing which you could have a problem with is a corrupted BUN file. It doesn't happen often, however when it happens, depending if you have a back up, it could be painful.

When using Sonar, it's best to use the folder per project options. That way you just burn the folder to the disk, that way if any part of the file corrupts you won't loose all the audio. Whilst it does mean more files, it also means that if one corrupts you would only have a glitch in that file, not the whole project.

Just a suggestions,

Porter

If you are recording at 24 bit and then burn the .BUN file (or the Per-Project folders options from Porter) to a CD, then the files are NOT converted to 16-bit.

Therefore, you have nothing to worry about.

You only need to convert down to 16-bit when you are preparing an audio CD for use in a music CD player.

Ciao,

Q.

Back