Exporting midi track to audio file

digmudvayne4lif

Does anyone know how to export a midi track as an audio file in sonar 4 or any cakewalk recording software for that matter? For some reason it isnt working for me. Is there something special that I need? Thanks

What are you using as your sound source?

Unless you're using software synths (DXi, VSTi) you have to convert the midi to audio before exporting. It's in the manual.

click on the midi track, and "freeze" the track. what it does it will bounce it down to audio wave tracks,......in which you will have to scroll down at the bottom of your project, and youl see em down there.

:D

I was gonna answer this...but may have learned an easier way

bryank said:
click on the midi track, and "freeze" the track. what it does it will bounce it down to audio wave tracks,......in which you will have to scroll down at the bottom of your project, and youl see em down there.

:D

OK. So i either arm 2 tracks and record MIDI & audio simultaneously if i'm fairly certain i won't #%#! up. If not, i re-record the MIDI track back into an audio track and then wallah...export away as needed.

But what is this i hear about the 'freeze' function. You mean Sonar will automatically 'convert' my midi to audio without me having to re-record?!! That's been my biggest waste of time frustration with Cakewalk/now Sonar from Day ONE! TELL ME MORE!!!!

mshea said:
OK. So i either arm 2 tracks and record MIDI & audio simultaneously if i'm fairly certain i won't #%#! up. If not, i re-record the MIDI track back into an audio track and then wallah...export away as needed.

But what is this i hear about the 'freeze' function. You mean Sonar will automatically 'convert' my midi to audio without me having to re-record?!! That's been my biggest waste of time frustration with Cakewalk/now Sonar from Day ONE! TELL ME MORE!!!!

im not sure on which sonar has the "freeze' function, i belive its sonar 4 and above..........

after you record your midi track, you can right click on the main window of that track, and it will give the option of "freeze midi track". click it.

after its done "freezing" (which its bouncing it down to audio wave data), scroll down to the lower portion of the track window. you should see about 3 or 4 new tracks, and one of them will contain the wave audio of your original midi track sound. the other tracks will be blank audio ( i have no idea why it does this, you can delete those blank audio tracks.)

once this is done.....you can go back and delete your original midi track (if your satisfied with your playing), cause you no longer need it....you now have a new audio wave file, of what used to be a midi file!

That's BETTER THAN WHITE BREAD

Well i'll be! That's the best thing I have ever heard. I'm gonna go try it RIGHT NOW! You're a friggin' genius. You have helped me save HOURS of frustration and wasted time. MY HERO!

FREEZE.

mshea said:
Well i'll be! That's the best thing I have ever heard. I'm gonna go try it RIGHT NOW! You're a friggin' genius. You have helped me save HOURS of frustration and wasted time. MY HERO!

FREEZE.
I'm not positive about this, since I don't own Sonar 4 or 5, but I suspect this only works if you have your midi tracks routed to a software synth (DXi or VSTi). If you are routing to a sound card or external synth, I suspect it won't work.

If that's the case, you don't need to have the freeze function (although that does simplify it). For those on earlier versions of Sonar, you can simply bounce the tracks and then archive the unused midi and synth tracks. In essence, I believe that is what the freeze function does, although it does it in a single step.

Back