Export 24 Bit to 16 bit audio

heaven

Please help!
I am new on sound recording and cakewalk, my problem is

1. After recording with 24bit 9600hz, I cannot export to other 16bit audio format
(e.g. rm, wmv), the error is "....can only be performed on projects that is set to
sample rate of 48 k and bit depth of 8 or 16...), I have already change to audio format of 16bit (From Tools -> change audio format), but I cannot find any option can change the sample rate)

2. Since I record the instrument with mono input (my soundcard got L and R input), is it possible to duplicate 1 track from L to R, or vice versa?

PS. I am using Sonar 3 Producer Edition and Windows XP

Thanks in advance.

1. I'd have to check. I only export to 16 bit WAV and if I need an MP3 version I use Soundforge to convert... just the way I prefer to do it. And I've only worked in 44.1 24 bit or 16 bit so I'd have to check that too. Perhaps someone else could shed more light on this.

2. Yes. Right click on the track you want to make a copy of and select Clone Track. Or you could just add a new audio track and "drag" a copy (select clip and hold control key while dragging) from the existing track to the new track.

Thanks for reply.
My problem is even I copy and paste a track, the track is still mono.......
I can change it to Stereo when playback, but after I export to audio format
(The only one I can export is Windows Broadcast format), its become mono again, and the previous set Pan is all reset to the original state.

Please help.

Hmmm... let me think...

Yes, when a mono track is recorded it is always mono but you should still be able to position it within the stereo field. You are correct that you can change a mono audio track to stereo and any stereo automation and the like will work during playback but if you render/export the track or save and exit the file the audio track will change back to mono. What I have done though (I'll need to check this when I get home tonight) is copied a mono recording onto a new stereo track and then applied pan automation to the track ( I wanted a sweeping/panning effect on just one section or the guitar part) and that worked OK for me.

I don't fully understand why it is that you can't export to WAV which is, as far as I know, the best uncompressed format you can export to in Sonar. Tell me, you said that you recorded at 9600 Hz... did you mean 96000 Hz (96KHz)?

andy

heaven said:
Please help!
I am new on sound recording and cakewalk, my problem is

1. After recording with 24bit 9600hz, I cannot export to other 16bit audio format
(e.g. rm, wmv), the error is "....can only be performed on projects that is set to
sample rate of 48 k and bit depth of 8 or 16...), I have already change to audio format of 16bit (From Tools -> change audio format), but I cannot find any option can change the sample rate)
Sonar does not have the capablity to convert sample rates. You are better off exporting it as is as a wave (.wav) file, and using another program to convert the bit depth and sample rate.

Or simply record at 44.1kHz to begin with. You can leave the bit depth at 24 bits, as you can reduce this to 16 bits via the Sonar Export File dialogue box.

dachay2tnr said:
Sonar does not have the capablity to convert sample rates. You are better off exporting it as is as a wave (.wav) file, and using another program to convert the bit depth and sample rate.

Or simply record at 44.1kHz to begin with. You can leave the bit depth at 24 bits, as you can reduce this to 16 bits via the Sonar Export File dialogue box.

Thanks.

The problem is the only option I can export is broadcast wave when it is 96khz,
and the result is all previous set PAN will become mono (The channel I record the instrument, sound either come from L or R).

Might be I will choose the 24bit with 44.1kHz, but I believe that 96KHz should
with better quality during recording. So, why Sonar dont have tools to allow
the audio export to other format when using 96kHz?
Is it other ways to do so?

:confused:

heaven said:
Thanks.

The problem is the only option I can export is broadcast wave when it is 96khz,
That is correct - except you probably should be exporting an RIFF wave if the final destination is to burn it to a CD.
heaven said:
and the result is all previous set PAN will become mono (The channel I record the instrument, sound either come from L or R).
I dont understand what you are saying. If you export a wave file, it will be a single track, stereo wave. Your pan settings should remain intact.
heaven said:
Might be I will choose the 24bit with 44.1kHz, but I believe that 96KHz should
with better quality during recording.
While the recording quality will be better, it is debatable whether that quality will survive the resampling process to reduce it to 44.1kHz in order to burn it to CD. And it is completely wasted if you are ultimately converting to mp3 or wma or another lossy compression program.
heaven said:
So, why Sonar dont have tools to allow
the audio export to other format when using 96kHz?
Is it other ways to do so?
You would have to ask Cakewalk that question. :D

Yes, there are other ways. I use Wavelab, which has the capability to change both bit depth and sample rate. Wavelab is a bit expensive, and I believe there are free, resampling programs available on the internet. I don't know how good their quality is. But, as I noted above, resampling from 96kHz to 44.1kHz could very well be worse than simply recording at 44.1 in the first place.

Ciao.

heaven said:
2. Since I record the instrument with mono input (my soundcard got L and R input), is it possible to duplicate 1 track from L to R, or vice versa?

Just to clarify on this point.. if you duplicate a track from Left channel and Right channel it will still sound mono, the only difference will be a slight increase +3dB in volume.

If you are recording track in mono, using the fully planned Left and Right gives you two tracks at one time, once they are in Sonar, you can them modify the pan settings. Just re-reading your first post, the track you are recording that you are trying to duplica, is it a stereo track or a mono track? ie do you see one or two wave forms on that one track? If it is a stereo and one channel is a flat line that's a different story all together, make sure you change the track to mono before you record.

Daniel

Back