Erratic Playback with HomeStudio 9

Mr_Kee

I am trying to record a simple 2 track song. One track is midi info from my Alesis Qs8.1 and the other track is a vocal track recorded in through my SB Live card. I recorded both tracks simultaneously and after correcting a few errors on the midi track I wanted to rerecord the vocal track. When I try to play the midi track (through the keyboard or through the soundcard) with the vocal track muted or even when I delete the vocal track and just record with the midi playing it gets all jumpy speeding up and slowing down. I went in and adjusted all the buffers to maximum as suggested in the Cakewalk Power book and it helped only marginally while increasing my latency to an intolerable level. I am running a PIII 600 Mhz machine with 192 Megs of RAM and as I mentioned I have an SB live card. I tried recording again but in the fast parts of the song the playback is still erratic. Shouldn't I be able to play several .wav tracks simultaneously with this setup? It seems unable to handle even one even with buffer sizes set high. Thanks in advance for you help.

Mr_Kee

M_K Well, first off, as far as Im concerned, Midi is a nightmare, I gave up on it 7 years ago, however, thats me and I dont have the patience in this lifetime to deal with it (as of now). It sounds like a midi problem because I have the same processing power as you w/ a D44 soundcard. SB is supposed to be good also, and I dont have any wabbling problems. Thank Godddddddddd!! Just test different tracks together and try to isolate the problem and delete it forever!! Dv

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I managed to fix the problem. But unfortunately I don't usually have the patience to do one thing at a time so I am not exactly sure what fixed it or if my computer was just having a bad day. I now can play stuff back with the latency set to its lowest setting without any playback glitches. Thanks.

-Mr_Kee

the usual culprit in these midi/audio timing can be found at options/deviceprofiles/wav position out for timing. Although Ive never quite figured it out but sometimes it seems to turn itself off. I always check it first.

Back