Echo In My Monitors

Dani Pace

I am using Cakewalk Music Creator 2003, my problem is when I record the sound I hear through the monitors comes out double, like the signal is repeated with about a half second delay. This dosent show up on the recorded part, just in the monitors while recording. Can this echo be eliminated? If so, how? It dosen't affect the recording other than really mess with my timing when adding tracks. I'm new to Cakewalk so any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dani

Does Music Creator 2003 support Input Monitoring?

If so, turn it of by clicking yourself into Options -> Audio -> Input Monitoring and deselect any drivers...

And it would be great to know what soundcard you use...

If it's an SB Live!, then setting the Recording-source to Line In might help...

moskus, your idea worked to get rid of the "echo" but it caused a dramatic loss of signal on the recording input volume. And yes I am using SB Live, on Windows XP. Also sometimes the Cakewalk program wants to "freeze up" I'm not sure if it's the puter or the program, or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I should go back through the tutorials again to see if it's me (and it very likely is) Any way, thanks for your help, I'm still learning my way around the program and get confused easily, there are a lot fo settings to tweek to get things right. I'm sure I'll have lots more guestions before I get this thing working to suit me. Dani

How are you judging the "loss of volume." Is this based on what you are hearing while recording, or is the recorded wave file actually lower in volume.

Turning off input monitoring should not cause a loss in input volume; however, it will very likely affect what you are hearing in your headphones. You need to find another way to monitor your input. For example, I monitor mine using my hardware mixer.

The other alternative is to re-enable input monitoring, and try and get your latency settings down to 5ms or less. You will need a CPU with some decent horsepower to do this, and you probably won't accomplish it with an SB Live.

Back