Drum tracks aren't drums!

sjaguar13

I am using Cake Walk Pro Audio 9. I was planning on using it for my band, but we split up. I figured I should record my songs before I forget them. I heard Cake Walk was good at making drum tracks. Someone called it a sequencer. I opened a new project, clicked on staff view, and made a few notes. I then went to the track view and played it. It wasn't drums; it was a piano. I then opened a sample thing from Cake Walk and it was sweet. It sounded like real drums. I can't figure how to get mine to sound like that. I starting changing instruments and got it sounded like fake, stupid drums. They're not all drums, some are just odd sounds. I was wondering how I get the real sounding drums and how I switch another song back to piano. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, you need to change the number in the
channel box to number 10. That's the default for midi
drums. Hope this helps.

PaulB

If you can use soundfonts, then I strongly recommend you read and follow this great Post by Alan Guiness. BTW, his recommended drum kit sounds superb. If you have Virtual Piano, you can use that to record midi files using your preferred drum kit straight onto CW. And then use Piano Roll view to modify etc.

Look at CW Help for Midi, Virtual Piano and soundfonts. It will change your life! I know, it happened to me (thanks to A1MixMan) Sad but very true:D

Good luck.

I still can't get it. I put it on track 10 and it made the fake drum sounds. I have no idea what to do with the SoundFonts. I changed the instrument to that and it didn't do anything. The "R&B 078 - Ballad-Straight 8ths.mid" is the kind of drums I want. I don't know how to switch it though.

Is the sample song that sounded like real drums using audio drums (recording of real drums), or MIDI drums (fake drums synthesized on your sound card)? If they are audio, then it's likely you won't get the same sound out of your sound card, especially if you don't have a wavetable synth on your card. If they are MIDI, then you need to dig into the settings for the track (bank, patch, effects, etc.) and recreate them in your own project.

-j

sjaguar13 said:
I then opened a sample thing from Cake Walk and it was sweet. It sounded like real drums.

Sample thing? What does that mean? Pro Audio 9 actually comes with a few demo songs that use Real drums, actual recordings of drums.

What kind of soundcard do you have?

I starting changing instruments and got it sounded like fake, stupid drums. They're not all drums, some are just odd sounds

Is it possible that you have somehow offset the pitches in your drum track? Unlike regular instrument patches like piano, where each note is a different pitch, on drum patches each note is applied to a different piece of the drum kit. I forget what the General MIDI assignments are but suppose bass drum is a C3, ans snare is a D3 (the "3" refers to which octave in the entire range of notes we're in). If your sequence was transposed by an octave or some other amount, the part that should be a bass drum at C3 might now be C4, which might be a cymbal or a piece of latin percussion...

If you can tell from timing, etc. which note is supposed to be the kick drum, and see if it is the same note value as the note assigned to the kick on the synth, then you can either verify this or rule it out.

I think we are trying to ask you to run before you can walk. You need to tell your soundcard what instrument to play in midi.

When you are in track view, what are the properties of the track you are trying to use as drums?

To do this, place your cursor over the midi track number on the left of the screen and left click until it is highlighted. Then right click and choose Track properties. Note the channel no, Input, output, bank, patch, bank select method, key etc.

Also tell us what your operating system is and your soundcard details.

Play drums on channel 10..

If you are using a keyboard, I found that most notes reflect the correct instrumentation. However, the snare drum has only responded to the "E" for me.

moving your track to the 10th track isn't going to do it.

you've got to set the channel of the track to channel 10.

The "R&B 078 - Ballad-Straight 8ths.mid" is a midi file since it ends in .mid, so those tasty drums are either coming from your soundcard or a soundfont, and are not a sample.

when you select channel 10 for the drums, you still have to set the proper bank so that you get the drum set that you want. most soundcards have jazz, rock, orchestra, and 808 drum sets that you can choose from.

Back