Drag and Drop Drummer

tubedude

Anyone used the full version of this? Any luck? What are the limitations? Does it suck? How versatile is it really? Fill me in if you've used it.
Paul

I have it and I love it. The samples are great and sound rich and full. It's worth the money I spent. Many willsay that it is not what you want to usebecause you can't create loops. But it is not a loop generator. It is for Dragging and Dropping of samples to your program. Use Fruity Loops if you want to loop samples, you can even use the samples from DDD.

I also love the MIDI for the runs and other samples that I can use to vreate my lines and then convert them using the Soundfonts included with the program.

Limitations, have not hit any yet.

I use it quite a bit so that is a big yes on it from me.

Your mileage may vary.....hehehe

Good luck.

Hey sultan...

Hey man,
It does have the capability to create my own drum tracks though, right? The thing I discovered that I dont like is that the entire drum track goes down pre-mixed, and I can't manipulate individual tracks, like raising a kick level or reverb on snare only, or whatever. The Cubase drum sessions lay everything out on their own track, 12 tracks in all for each drum pattern... I like that alot. What about fruity loops... does it sound good using the DDD samples? And can fruity be laid out on indiviual tracks in cakewalk/sonar?
Thanks for the input!
Paul

Drag the drummer all the way up the stairs, and drop him of the balcony. Like that way of thinking...

drag and drop bummer

I don't use it very often but it could be useful if you are willing to work with it. There is no comparison between it and f-loops...totaly different ideas....but most importantly the ddder has realistic samples...fruity has none...its all techno....ddd has serious limitations in the different tempos and there is really only one drum set..if midi is what you want then the drumtrax is much more varied and seems to work well with cakewalk....I'd go download the McDonald? drum samples at sample net...fruity loops require importing the patterns into cake but it can also be used as a midi programmer...but it tends to sound a little rigid unless you work hard on the individual hits...if I had only the money to make 1 purchase I'd get fruity cause its lots of fun ,easy to use and never? crashes.

The only way to manipulate individual samples would be to use individual samples and not the runs that come with DDD. Put the kick on one track the snare on another etc... If your use the drums sequences yes you are limited to the tempos they give you, but I never found that to be an issue since I used individual samples.

As for fruity loops, I have to say that it's a great sequencer. And with the two you have awesome power for drum tracks, but not for individual pieces on different tracks. It will mix down to one track. At least with DDD you can put them to their own track and play with them. But it is more work because you have to put each sample where you want it.

You CAN import the individual samples from the DDD CD into FL and use them there if you wanted.

But, again (always a but) if you want to lay down a groove with DDD you can just do the programing for a verse or bridge or whatever, then copy it to the other places you need that groove. That's how I did my stuff. Get the beat, then copy the beat. More control because I had individual samples to work with later.

There you go. That's my take on DDD. IT has it's uses and so does Fruity Loops. I have both tools in my gig bag.

Just yesterday I was playing around with DDD...... created a mix from the percussion group, just egg shaker, marakas, etc. I saved it as a wav. file, and when I opened it in PA9 I was able to adjust the tempo (from the original 100) with no problem. Didn't try it with the drums ( dry studio kit?); maybe I'll try it this weekend. Hope this helps.

Sorry..... I'm at work. I clicked to the "Change tempo" icon and the tempo box comes up. It looks like the metronome box - a tempo of 100.00 was there frome the DDD default. I typed over 119.50 (for a tune I'm working on) and voila! Not the right rhythm for that tune, but it worked. Sorry that's the best I can do from here - I'll do it again when I get home and post details if you want.

Heres something I got from Cakewalk support on making the patterns multi-track...
"It does not separate the tracks for you. Import it is a MIDI Clip.
Then, select it and choose Edit | Run CAL. Next, choose "Split Notes
to Tracks" and press Run. THis will separate it into tracks for you."

Sounds cool to me.

by the way...

Will turning it into a multiple track midi format change the feel of it, or will it stay the same? I like the natural feel of the wav patterns, and thats what I dont want to lose, at least not entirely. I guess I may order this and check it out, its not too expensive... In midi, it'll be alot easier to add and delete hits and change levels.

But that does not give you the audio samples unless you either import them or use the soundfonts from the DDD CD.

You could use that scenario, then drag the audio sample to a track next to the midi notes, then just take your time and line up the audio samples, that way you only have to get the midi part right. Then placing the audio clips should be a snap...hehehe.. or a snap-to! hehehehe...nevermind.....

If you have Cakewalk 9 you should already have the demo version of DDD. It was included on the CD. You could check it out before the purchase if you need to.

Back