Creating Drums in Sonar 5

Flet

History: I have been using Acid Pro 5 where I can just bring in the .wav file for a drum sample and "draw" it on the track grid to make my drums sounds. I just draw on all the drums I want.

Now, can someone be kind enough to help me make drums tracks in Sonar from my samples (nsfree kit for example)? Start by being very basic because I just haven't figured out how yet. Does something like Battery even help?

Battery helps. I recommend a sampler and the use of MIDI, otherwise you'll just be copying samples all over the place. A sampler let's you use MIDI-notes to trigger the samples, and you can even play drums using a MIDI-keyboard.

However, you can still use the same technique you used in Acid.

Apparently it seems that Halion 3 is a better choice for sampler; http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=515115

moskus said:
However, you can still use the same technique you used in Acid.

O.K., if I can't do it the same way, is there a way you can let me know how because I haven't figured it out. At least if I can figure out how to do it the same "painting" way as in Acid then I can actually start using Sonar. I've been trying to switch to Sonar completely but until I can get drums patterned into Sonar it's still pretty useless to me, if you get my meaning.

Thanks.

Flet, you need to enable looping for the clips you're working with.

It works with either midi clips or audio clips. Select the clip and hit ctrl-L, or on the Edit menu, choose "Groove-Clip Looping". Now you can grab the right edge of the clip and drag it out as far as you want.

Sonar tries to guess how many beats are in your clip, but it sometimes makes mistakes. If you need more control you can access the Clip Properties dialog (hit alt-enter, or right-click on the clip and choose "Clip Properties") and tweak how the looping is set up, on the Groove-Clips tab.

Back