Control Surfaces

Bulls Hit

Anyone using control surfaces with Cakewalk products? Which ones?

Do they work via usb, or do you need a midi connection?

my USB keyboard has a bunch of faders and knobs on it so i use it to controll sonar and it works pretty good. Its not really made for this though so it doesn't work perfectly.

One product i may suggest checking out is the behringer BF2000. At first it had issues with sonar but i think they worked it out and now it is pretty sweet. Obviously the mackie control universal would be cool but the behringer is a fraction of the cost.

I'm using the Mackie MCU and it just flat-out rocks!

No regrets at all. It has MIDI connection only.

The thing is I have a delta 44 card which has no midi connection, so wiould a usb one like that Behri do the trick?

That BCF2000 looks pretty good actually and it's priced pretty damn competitively

cm labs motormix

I ordered CM Labs Motormix and it should arrive tuesday afternoon (ups tracking # says so). I know, it works fine with protools (I also have PT 6.4 LE with Digi 002R), and I read it works fine with Sonar as well :) I'll post next week, how it will come out. Motormix is quite inexpensive now, when you find it used, and you can put even 3 of them together and make a 24 fader mixer :)

www.pronoise.com

Moskus when you move the faders (adjusting the levels), does it draw an envelope in Sonar, or does Sonar record the automation?

What functions do you still need the mouse for?

Also, will it work via usb or do you need a midi connection?

Bulls Hit said:
Moskus when you move the faders (adjusting the levels), does it draw an envelope in Sonar, or does Sonar record the automation?

What functions do you still need the mouse for?

Also, will it work via usb or do you need a midi connection?
1. Sonar records the automation by drawing envelopes. :)

2. Well... editing is still best done with a mouse, IMHO.

3. It works with USB, no problem. But you can use MIDI connection if you want to.

My problem is that I need to get used to the unit. It's easy to learn, but I still catch myself grabbing for the mouse when I want to adjust something... It takes some getting used to. :)

the faders on my ediron pcr30 are pretty cool. this little keyboard does a lot of good stuff, and the knobs are configurable so you could use it as a midi controller.

i use to have a tascam us-428 and that worked great as a physcal extension of the DAWs virtual mixer. it would have been even better if the EQ knobs were integrated with Sonar better.

i've got the fw-1884 now and i'm playing with it. i'll let you know thumbs up or thumbs down in a few weeks. its firewire whereas the 428 was USB.

I'm using the 1884 and I can give you a thumbs up. Only thing is I dont use it with Sonar, but I have heard that it does play nice with Sonar...

:)

That 1884 is brilliant. It's got everything you need.
It's way out of my range at the moment but man it looks like a great piece of kit.

Is it possible to record from both the analog and adat outputs at the same time, so you're recording 16 inputs? Can the adat sync with a regular soundcard or do you need a special adat card?

I have sonar 4 and a firewire port. I am looking at purchasing the 1884. Will I still need to buy a multiple input sound card (currently using soundblaster live)? Currently I can only record one track at a time. Does the Firewire connection send the audio and the DAW stuff? Sorry I'm new to all of this stuff. I've only recorded old school analog. :rolleyes: I've been reading a lot about it, I just want to make sure that this will make my studio/computer intergration complete.

Last edited:
ws6snake-eater said:
I have sonar 4 and a firewire port. I am looking at purchasing the 1884. Will I still need to buy a multiple input sound card (currently using soundblaster live)? Currently I can only record one track at a time. Does the Firewire connection send the audio and the DAW stuff? Sorry I'm new to all of this stuff. I've only recorded old school analog. :rolleyes: I've been reading a lot about it, I just want to make sure that this will make my studio/computer intergration complete.

You can throw that soundblaster out the window. The 1884 is a complete solution for recording. 8 Analog inputs 8 analog outputs, inserts on each channel, 4/4 midi connections and a controller for your software.

Bulls Hit said:
Is it possible to record from both the analog and adat outputs at the same time, so you're recording 16 inputs? Can the adat sync with a regular soundcard or do you need a special adat card?

The documentation says Up to 18 simultaneous inputs although I'm sure there must be a compromise in quality.

Not sure about the adat question..

vestast said:
You can throw that soundblaster out the window. The 1884 is a complete solution for recording. 8 Analog inputs 8 analog outputs, inserts on each channel, 4/4 midi connections and a controller for your software.

The documentation says Up to 18 simultaneous inputs although I'm sure there must be a compromise in quality.

Not sure about the adat question..

It sounds like this is what I'm looking for then. Does anyone know if it has an option for different submixes (cue mixes), and studio talkback? I would like to record the drums in another room, and also to be able to setup different submixes for the vocalist and guitarist.

Thanks,

Matt

Back