Click Track ... MIDI's too slow, will Audio tie up RAM/CPU?

EmmSee

I have SonarPE4 (fully registered user!) - I tried using the internal midi-click track option. I've found that even when the audio is placed directly on the beat, the audio is played a millisecond or 2 before the click-track (when played back using Playback click enabled or Recording) ... Very annoying.

BUT if I use the Sonar Audio click-track option it's dead on... no problems.

My question: Will it bog the RAM or CPU to be using the "Audio" click track? I hope not, it's just a simple note... I just want to make sure before I start getting into projects with it. Thanks!

Technically, the MIDI is played after the audio -- it's a latency. (It might seem that I'm splitting hairs, but I think this helps you usnderstand what's up).

If your MIDI synth is the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, you will have this problem. You need to use either a outboard MIDI synth connected to your MIDI interface, or an on-board hardware synth if you have one. It's also possible that you can use one of the DXi synths that come with SONAR but I seem to remember that this was either not possible or rather difficult to set up, at least in earlier versions of SONAR (never tried it meself).

An audio click should not bog down the system unless you are running on a platform that is inadequate, like with any elements that are below the SONAR 4 system recommendations....

Thanks for the help. I never knew of the latency of the midi playing after the audio ... yes I was just using the interna GS Wavetable midi.

I'll just stick with the audio click for now.

My system specs are fine I believe ... I've got a FirePOD ... P4 2.53Ghz / 1GB Ram / system 7200rpm drive + dedicated 10,000rpm Raptor drive for Audio + Drumkit from Hell: Superior on that audio drive. Also, a dedicated PC for GigaStudio that's linked via MIDIoverLAN.

Interesting thread! :)

Agree with Chuck, it's Microsoft GS synth's latency.
Theres advantage of using Giga machine connected with MIDIoverLAN to be "MIDI click machine", but from my experience so far, it will give you another latency problem (not realy sync'd) if you try to sync it from the other machine. I suspect it's because very slight latency of MIDI click signal transmitted to Giga machine from Sonar machine thru TCPIP. I'm not geek, I don't know exactly how, but at least it occurs in my setup. Very slight, barely you can hear. It's okay on strings, pads, acoustic guitars, etc. but noticeable on single stroke notes like snare (or click for that matter). Trial on your setup would be my best suggestion :) BTW, I end up satisfied with SBLive! snapped in my Sonar machine. It's worth soundfonts instant previewing, and metronome!

;)
Jaymz

Back