Changing a copied/pasted midi drum track without changing all?

JohnnK

I'm trying to make some somewhat realistic drums in Sonar 7 using a drum plugin, and it's going alright. THe problem is I'm copying and pasting for 3 bars or whatever, and then having to make a new bar where I want a fill.. Because if I copy and paste for say, 8 bars (or 4, or whatever) and then just change the bar I want into a fill, it changes them all. Is there anyway around this problem? Thanks guys!

Perhaps I should specify using it's Sequencer, as well.

I have the same question!

Thanks for posting your question. I subscribed to this thread, hoping someone out there has more experience, and can help us both! I keep thinking this should be something so simple, and I'm just not tapped into it yet.

I'm trying to make some somewhat realistic drums in Sonar 7 using a drum plugin, and it's going alright. THe problem is I'm copying and pasting for 3 bars or whatever, and then having to make a new bar where I want a fill.. Because if I copy and paste for say, 8 bars (or 4, or whatever) and then just change the bar I want into a fill, it changes them all. Is there anyway around this problem? Thanks guys!

Perhaps I should specify using it's Sequencer, as well.

When you copy the clips, there is a check box in the copy dialogue for "linked clips". If it is checked when you copy a part, the clips will be linked and an edit to one will change them all as you observed. To avoid this, make sure the "linked clips" box is turned off when copying clips.

To unlink previously linked Clips:
In the Clips pane, select the clips you want to unlink.
Right-click on any selected clip and choose Unlink from the popup menu. SONAR displays the Unlink Clips dialog box.
Choose the unlink option you want, and click OK.

This is explained in more detail in the Sonar help file under the topic "Working with Linked Clips"

Last edited:
I agree, thanks a lot! I'll give it a whirl to unlink these previously linked clips.. Man, it would save a lot of time! :D

Yeah, that's weird.. THey are listed as NOT linked.. and I tried to do another one, and the check mark isn't there.. So that's not the problem. For example, when I copy and paste, they all show the number 46 in them, for example.. And still, if I change one, they all change.. THey are listed as not linked. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's weird.. THey are listed as NOT linked.. and I tried to do another one, and the check mark isn't there.. So that's not the problem. For example, when I copy and paste, they all show the number 46 in them, for example.. And still, if I change one, they all change.. THey are listed as not linked. Any ideas?

That is weird.

As a check, I just did a test on my system (Sonar 6 by the way) and the copy linked vs. not linked clip procedure behaves as expected (i.e. linked clips changed together and unlinked clips changed alone).

Have you tried this in a different (unrelated) file. I've seen Sonar do some weird things in certain files that don't happen in others. It could be something is hung up in that files properties or something. Or it could be a bug in Sonar 7.

Back