Can't convert MIDI to Audio in PE6

ido1957

9K Gold Member
I inserted a midi track on TRACK 3. I armed TRACK 5 for Audio recording setting the input to the Soundcard Stereo. I hit record and the program plays the MIDI but does not record any level on TRACK 5. I can hear the MIDI fine through my headphones and the record functionality works but no record level on TRACK 5 (the level = -59.2 db).

I have no volume control under Windows Record Volume for MIDI - only levels for mic/line/built in mic: So I cannot do this part:
Open the sound card's recording control window (the command is probably Options-Properties-Adjust Volume For Recording) and make sure all boxes below Adjust Volume For Recording are checked.
Click OK, and locate the slider marked MIDI, Synth, Mixed Input, or What You Hear. Check the Select box at the bottom, then close the window

Any suggestions as to what to do to get some level to TRACK 5 ? The channel input level control has no affect and neither does the gain.

Soundcard is Sigma Tel card.

Attachments

• LMO Pic.jpg
    LMO Pic.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
With a little help from my friend Mike who has Sonar I've got it so I can export audio from my midi track. I didn't convert the midi to audio.

INSERT/SOFT SYNTH/Cakewalk TTS-1
This created a folder with two tracks 6 and 7.
Selected Track 3, then TRACK/PROPERTY/OUTPUT/Cakewalk TTS-1
Selected Track 6, then made the INPUT = Cakewalk TTS-1 and OUTPUT = Master (I think it automatically did this though.
Then Selected Track 3 and 6
Theb FILE/EXPORT/AUDIO/ and it exported to a .wav file with audio of the midi track....

Attachments

• LMO Pic2.jpg
    LMO Pic2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
Now if anyone can tell me how to get the drums to sound like drums....the kick sounds like a rim shot and the snare has that 80's "explosion" snare in both Sonar and the exported wave file....:mad::mad::mad::mad: It sounds okay when I play it through my keyboard...

Does your keyboard have its own sounds? I'm guessing it does since you siad it sounds better. The difference is between using the software synth and using your keyboard to generate the sounds.

If your keyboard has its own sounds, go back to your original setup with a single midi track and set the output to your keyboard. Make sure: 1- Sonar knows about your keyboard, that it's a reconized instrument; 2 - play the midi track solo'd while recording the output of the keyboard to an audio track in Sonar. Then you will have your audio track from the keyboard.

Alternately, you can use a better software synth or a better sound set to make your drums sound better.

I usually leave my midi tracks as midi for as long as possible so I can change the tempo or make final selections on the patch(es) to use. Then I 'print' the midi track after recording the other tracks.

Back