Cakewalk Sonar 7 Home Studio Xl or Sonar 8.5 Essentials

clint blackwood

I can get the Sonar 7 Home Studio for half the price of Sonar 8.5 Essentials.
Which program is better or has more features, for home use?

Unfortunately, 'home use' means different things to different people... (Especially in THESE forums) ;)

I've never used HS7 but was a big fan of 8.5 (Producer, not Essentials) before I upgraded to X1. Both DAW's would be wonderful introductions to home recording with Sonar.

I guess the best way to answer would be to ask yourself: What are you expecting to do now, and do you expect/want to be able to more in the future? HS7 is discontinued and 8.5 has been updated to X1... These also might be factors for you to consider.

Welcome :)

I'd want to record tracks in at least 24/96kHz.
Do some MIDI.
Add drums and bass tracks via the package.
Is X1 a big change from 8.5? Things sure move fast for this product range.

That should do it but how do I buy the program X1 Essentials and not just the upgrade online?
I see there is also a X1 LE version. Would that work for me, its only $59.

What advantage does X1 have over Sonar 7 Home Studio? is it possible to upgrade from Sonar 7 directly to X1?

I started with Sonar 6 and am now on 8.5. X1 was a fairly major rework but most of the features are cosmetic. Kind of like going from office2003 to office2007. The biggest possible drawback using Sonar 7 is that it is from the XP days. There is no support for win7 if you are using that. If you are still on XP (I am) Sonar 7 Home Studio is a fine piece of software. I believe that if you own any registered version of Sonar, you are entitled to upgrades.

Back