Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0?

Conrad Josepi

Hello all!

Well NAMM came and went with no mention from Cakewalk of a new version of Pro Audio.

Yesterday, we recieved a fax from Cakewalk offering free upgrades to Pro Audio 9 if you buy the studio mix package.

Is this a mistake? Has anyone else heard any concrete evidence of Pro Audio 9.0 being released in the near future?

Conrad Josepi

Cakewalk? Man I've used that stuff and it still has problem with latency. Maybe this might come late, but try Cubase VST24. I've the producer's pack and its great. No LATENCY!

Yeah, but have you used CW9? That's supposed to solve the latency problem. Review coming soon here, I hope!

I'm using CW9 & haven't had any trouble w/ latency (not that I've really taxed it yet.)I'm not going to give a full review or anything, but I'm enjoying some of the new features such as "session drummer"; a loop based drum sequencer of sorts - it allows you to quickly set up a scratch (or finished, I suppose) rhythm track -in my case this is much appreciated as I hate to track to a click. It also comes with amp-sim lite; interesting, but I haven't really gotten into using it yet. The studio control panel has a nice new look, but otherwise the interface is virtually the same. Overall, the prog runs in a more stable manner on my machine - previous versions of CW have caused it to hang for no apparent reason.

I just got it, too, and no, I haven't had any problems with latency, as such. It's just that before, if I had a lot of tracks going, I'd move the fader and it would take a bit for it to register. Now, if I have a lot of tracks playing, I move the fader and it just stops altogether. Oh well. I think I need a better computer.

I do, however, like the MP3 encoder, and the ability to mixdown to external files. The cabinet emulator is fairly decent if you mess with it enough, although I'd rather just mic an amp. I haven't tried out the midi stylizer thing yet, but it sounds kinda cool. Overall, it's not a tremendous improvement over 8.0, but it's worth the upgrade just for the additional mixdown options and the MP3 encoder.

Ryan

Okay, now I've got it in my hot little hands. Latency issues have been addressed and there is great improvement with live mixing. It isn't perfect, but a great improvement from the last version.

i like the look of the new interface, especially the console view.

I'll post some more thoughts as I get familier with it.

Back