Cakewalk Power - An Introduction

garrigus

www.garrigus.com
Hi Everybody!

Please allow me to introduce myself... my name is Scott R. Garrigus. I'm a writer and a musician. You may have seen some of my articles in Electronic Musician magazine, Keyboard magazine, or Music & Computers magazine (may she rest in peace - man, I miss that mag.).

If I may, I'd like to start participating in this discussion group... sharing thoughts and knowledge, and hopefully gaining some as well.

I do, however, have a slight ulterior motive (and I hope you'll forgive me for it :-). I'm also here to introduce my first book, and I certainly wouldn't be posting this message if I thought it was in any way inappropriate. But I think many of you might be interested in hearing about Cakewalk Power.

Cakewalk Power! is the first book to deal exclusively with the Cakewalk Pro Audio, Guitar Studio, and Home Studio software products. An excellent resource for musicians who want to begin creating, recording, and producing immediately using Cakewalk software, this book covers major features like editing and playing music, and it delves into lesser-known aspects like audio mixing, creating sheet music, and producing music for the Web. Written for beginning and intermediate users (with discussion of some advanced topics), this book includes thorough discussions and examples, and walks you through every aspect of the software.

If you're interested in learning more about the book, please feel free to stop by my site: http://www.garrigus.com/
You'll find more information about the book, including a detailed table of contents, a free newsletter, a discussion area, live chat, and of course, information on how to purchase the book. And you have the chance to win free products.
Also, if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note: http://www.garrigus.com/scott/contact.html

By the way, I'm also looking to exchange links with as many music-related sites as possible. So if you have a site of your own, let me know.

Thanks, Everyone! I look forward to participating in this group.

Scott

garrigus:

I never participate in this forum, but I'm sure we'll see a lot of eachother if your break-off into the non-software related forums here; epecially the microphone forum.

I sure don't have a problem with you promoting your new book here as long as it's not your only motive; which I don't feel it is anyhow. In fact, I am glad you did because I believe in books, a lot of times, more than I believe in college; but that's any path I don't want to take here.

Anyhow, Welcome.

When I bought my CWPA9 it came with a manual. There's also the onscreen help menu. If all that fails, the support group at Cakewalk is always ready to help.

Hi Recording Engineer,

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I definitely know what you mean about education. I went to college and got my degree, and I'm very glad for the experience. But I also believe I learned quite a lot on my own, just reading from books and experimenting on my own time. I think it take a little bit of both.

-- Scott

Hi Monty,

That's true. Pro Audio comes with documentation, but it sounds like you are an advanced user. The book is geared toward beginning and intermediate user. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that don't understand the information in the manual. And that's what it is, a manual. It's not really a guide that walks you through all the aspects of the software step-by-step, which is what Cakewalk Power does. But in any case, it's good to meet you!

-- Scott

Hi Michael,

Yeah, there are quite a few books on Cubase, but Cakewalk Power is the first professional guide for Cakewalk software.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that although Pro Audio users get a printed manual, Guitar Studio and Home Studio users don't. So they'll be very interested in Calkewalk Power too.

If you decide to pick it up, be sure to let me know what you think after you've had a chance to read it.

Thanks!
Scott

Hi c7sus,

I haven't read the Alexander book, but from what I've heard, it didn't provide complete coverage. In any case, (as you can see from my numerous other posts here) I do plan to participate as often as I can. I'm also running a Discussion area on my own site, which is also keeping me pretty busy. I'm sorry if I've offended you or anyone else here in any way. That's certainly not my intention.

Best,
Scott

Hi Garrigus

Thanks for the much needed book :) I just ordered it, so I havn't seen it yet but judging by the table of contents on your web site it covers just everything.You wrote it just in time too, I just bought my Guitar studio 2.00 a week ago, Ive been looking for a book on cakewalk for about 3-4 months with no luck. I'll take a (GOOD) book in my hands over help files anyday. By the way, when are you selecting your winner in your contest,it wasn't specified???

Later
Torp

Thanks, Torp! I hope you enjoy the book. I'd like to hear what you think after you've had a chance to read it.

Regarding the contest... I'll be picking the winner at the end of this month, and announcing them in the next issue of my free newsletter. You have to be a subscriber to be eligible for the contest.

And if all goes well, there will be a new contest every month with different prizes.

-- Scott www.garrigus.com

Hi Scott,
I was just browsing the forum and thought, "You might just be the guy to help with a cakewalk problem I have" - Sorry if this is a bit cheeky! - Do you know where I can get a sysex file which I can load into cakewalk which when transmitted to my Alesis SR16 will set it up as general midi? - Its driving me nuts! - On the book front, great idea its about time CWPA got some limelight ahead of Cubase!!

Hi C7sus,

Wow! Thanks so much! I'm really glad to hear that you like the book. I definitely tried to do my best, which is how I approach all my work. Looks like its paying off. :-)

By the way, may I have permission to reprint your name and comments for promotional purposes for the book? I'd like to use your real name though, if that's okay. If it's better for you, just drop me a note via e-mail to let me know: scott@garrigus.com

Thanks!
Scott http://www.garrigus.com/

Hi there...Do you have any idea if Cakewalk will be diving into the realm of 5.1 surround sound? I would love to see it.

Hi Gargamel,

I posted an answer to your other post. No, sorry, I haven't heard anything about Cakewalk providing Surround Sound support.

Best,
Scott

Back