Thread: Cakewalk Plugins vs outboard effects

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi I am about to take the plunge in hard disk recording with Cakewalk ProAudio8, Acid and Sonic Foundry Mastering House with Sound Forge 4.5, CD architect and plugin FX 1 and 2.

My question: Do I need a tube preamp and tube compressor limiter to record vocals and accoustic guitar, if I have plugins that offer the same functions?

Thanks
    Well, ideally you need a mixer of some sort. Or a good preamp. As far as tube preamps and such, if you have the money and it makes it "sound better" go for it. Otherwise, just work with what you have. If your acoustic is a good one, it will record well regardless of the amp stage. A microphone is essential though.

Emeric

Thanks
    I agree with Emeric.....I use CW Pro Audio 8 and I found the built in effects pretty useful.
    I also have recorded acoustic guitar through my mixer and into my sound card
    with great success. At this time I'm experimenting with a tube mic preamp
    prototype from Peavey to use with vocals. Haven't got very far into that at the
    moment but I'm anxious to hear the results. All in all, get a good external mixer
    with reputable signal to noise specs (quiet) and see if that gets you where you
    need to be.

Thread Information