Cakewalk / MIDI setup/questions

bigsk

Hi everyone Im new to the board and I have a few questions.

Setup
PC /w cakewalk pro audio 9
soundcard sb live value
gameport/midi cable

midi out from sb goes to

Yamaha Rm1x
sequencer/ tone generator (already have a ton of patterns sequenced into it

midi out from rm1x

midi input on a Yamaha psr 248 Keyboard (basically just a midi controller to input music into the rm1x) no audio needed from device

midi out from KB goes to

midi in on sb

now what i want to accomplish is be able to play patterns on the rm1x and have it record into cakewalk.

I also want to be able to play the output from cakewalk from the rm1x (after pattern arranging and changes)

Is this possible?

how do i need to setup the channels / banks sources and stuff to accomplish what im trying to do?

any help is appreciated. =]

First of all... Welcome to the board, bigsk. :cool:

Now your setup...
:D Kinda had to read your post over and over to figure out your setup... :D

So it goest :

SB MIDI Out --> MIDI In Yamaha Rm1x
Yamaha Rm1x MIDI Out --> MIDI In PSR 248
PSR 248 MIDI Out --> MIDI In SB.

I didn't know much about each devices you have, but I think you just wanna use the PSR to input MIDI data to Cakey. Rm1x being sound generator and also generate pattern to be sent to Cakey, right ? Gee, I don't use Cakey 9 anymore... it would be a bit difficult to explain by now... however, I'll see what I can do, and post again latter...

;)
James

yeah, i want to use the rm1x to play patterns to be recorded in cakewalk, and i want cakewalk to playback the same thing through the rm1x, this way i can have data of the songs i create and increase the flexibility of song editing via cakewalk.

As I said I didn't know much about your devices, so I don't know how about their capability of routing the MIDI signal. Anyway... for sure, you can make a connection first without the PSR on the line. So...

SB MIDI Out --> MIDI In Rmx1
Rm1x MIDI Out --> MIDI In SB

I didn't know how the Rm1x generate the pattern and on what channel, but just set cakey MIDI Input options to record and echo MIDI channels to all 16 channels. So input channel 1 will echo to channel 1 out, 2 to 2, 3 to 3,... etc... Open 16 MIDI tracks, assign each to receive from 1 to 16 corespondenly.. Also set Cakey's timing to sync the Rm1x. Set Cakey's Clock source to MIDI sync / external. Start Cakey to record, and play the patterns in Rm1x. See which channel's recorded... how's that going ?

;)

Back