cakewalk home studio 2004 and tascam us 428 problems

lonman

I just recieved my new edition of cakewalk home studio 2004. I am trying to use it with my tascam us 428. I have no idea how to get started. There is nothing in the manual about the Tascam. I called cakewalk before I ordered home studio 2004 and asked if it worked with the us 428 and they told me it would. The software runs a wave profiler upon installation. It recognizes my sound card for audio input, and the tascam for midi input. I disabled the soundcard, and the wave profiler then recognized the us 428 for audio input. The software will not recognize the tascam as a remote. In other words, none of the controls on the tascam control anything. When I tried to record my electric guitar plugged into the "D" input of the Tascam, I had the tascam C:D input selected as the input in track properties, adjusted the trim on the tascam so it was getting signal (but not too much) , used the record button from the pulldown menu, recorded for about 5 seconds, rewound, and tried to playback, I got nothing. My computer is a compaq presario with a 2.4 ghz processor, 512 mb of RAM, and a 80gb hard drive. I tried to listen to the playback back through the tascam with headphones. This setup worked with cubasis that came with the tascam, but i had a lot of dropouts witht he cubasis and thought that new software would help with that. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Also, I know this is the cakewalk forum, but I have a version of cubase 5.1 but I dont have a manual. Does anyone know where I could get a manual for it online?

Thanks for listening
Lonman

I don't know about HS, but in Sonar you can go Options -> Control Surface. Hit the button with a yellow star, and select "Tascam 428" and the ports used to control it (should be in the manual for the Tascam). And as far as I know (I've never used the Tascam myself) you should get it going... :)

lonman said:
I have a version of cubase 5.1 but I dont have a manual. Does anyone know where I could get a manual for it online?
It's not online, but it's on the (original) CD you install Cubase from... :rolleyes:

In the manual for the tascam, all it says is cakewalk hasn't finished thier support for the us 428 yet. And the cubase cd I have is not an "original" from steinburg.

Thanks for listening
Lonman

Thanks moskus,

I went to the options--control surface. I had already added the 428, but the "428 control" has to be on both input and output.
Also, while I was on that page I clicked on the help page and selected working with control surfaces or something similar and there was a whole section on using cakewalk hs 2004 with the tascam (when all else fails, read the directions). There are several things that have to be done in order for it all to work right. But so far this is working and i hope it continues to do so.

I bought the tascam on ebay and the guy I bought it from sent me a copy of cubase 5.1 on a cd. I doesn't have a manual on it. I was just hoping that there was one online.....or something.

Thanks again

Lonman

Well, it sounds like its a pirated copy of Cubase then. Why would the guy charge you only for the Tascam and then throw in a $400 piece of software burnt on a CD-R for free? Think about it.

Did you install it yet? I'm putting 2 and 2 together here. If you did install it, and it was some kind of cracked Warez distribution of Cubase, you may indeed have a virus or at the least corrupted some system files

It pretty common for Warez software to be unstable because its cracked and for people to slip in viruses and spyware into Warez software out on the Internet available for download.

Take a look at this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103217

lonman said:
I bought the tascam on ebay and the guy I bought it from sent me a copy of cubase 5.1 on a cd. I doesn't have a manual on it. I was just hoping that there was one online.....or something.
Wow... my thoughts about eBay is just getting lower and lower.

Back