Cakewalk and Hard Drive Performance

darvis

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cakewalk does benefit from faster seek times and RPM's of hard disks right? My hard drive is an older model and i think its runs at about 4000-5000 RPM...will this result in a decrease in performance?

With a slower hard disk you will not be able to playback/record as many simlutaneous tracks as you would be able to with a faster hard disk. And if you're hard drive is slow enuf, you may not be able to simultaneously playback and record.

I think 5-6K RPM should be fine for maybe 8 audio tracks as long as your seek time is less than 9 or 10 ms. I'm not sure though, I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

Just experiment.

You'll at least be able to play 2-3 tracks at a time.

Good Luck.

Mr.Lip, what is the rest of your system? I'm sure if it's half decent (P200, 64MB) you will get at least 8 tracks, maybe more. I was using a P166MMX, DOP and 64MB with a 5400RPM Drive a few years ago and getting 8 tracks easy.

sorry to but in here (well, not really : )

I'm running a P166, 64megs ram with a 5400rpm hard drive, I've gotten 32 (different) tracks plaing back at the same time, no choppyness ... just an 11 second latency :)
The latency starts to sky rocket at about 16 - 18 tracks, so you should be able to get 8 going easily enough...

William Underwood

I have a fairly good system, but not a great hard disk.
PIII 500
128 RAM

I should just buy a new hard disk :)
but im on a tight budget, so would i benefit
that much if i upgraded the hard disk?

7200 RPM drives with a nice chunk of GBs are now available from $129 - $169. A PIII-500 system will definitely benefit from this upgrade.
Do you really like those hourglass icons?

If you know the make and model number, a trip to the manufacturer's site should give you the answer.

Or do the Wintune diagnostic on the Winmag website.

Or download the Echo test from the, you guessed it, Echo website. It will show how many tracks you should get at different settings.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 03-04-2000).]

Back