Cakewalk Guitar Studio - new Aureal sound card -- sound distorting

Bluesyone

Hi - I just upgraded an old run of the mill Soundblaster Ensoniq sound card to an Aureal SQ1500 and now I'm hearing distortion in the demo files included in Guitar Studio. I don't hear distortion when I play back regular wav or mp3 files.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When you play back the demo tracks, whats happening to the peak meters? Are they clipping i.e. turning the peak warning lamp red?

What kind of distortion are you hearing?

Aureal SQ1500 & Cakewalk GS

Thanks for responding-
It seems that the bass notes are distorting...and it's not cranked... a CD played on the same computer at that volume isn't distorting. I'm embarrassed to say, but I can't even seem to find the meters on here to see if they're clipping..haven't used this software in a very long time

thanks

To find a meter, open the View Console...

When you play a sound, the track's led meter should be dancing through the sound... :) Can you see it...?

hmmm

thanks... I did find the meter...though there is no activity on the meter when I play one of the sample cakewalk files...
is it me or is something wrong here?

Any ideas as to why there's no activity in my meters when I play a cakewalk project file? My soundcard is an Aureal SQ1500. MIDI device is set to Vortex AU8810 Wavetable

thanks

??

This is driving me nuts... I've concluded there is only one mixer active for the sound card... the levels in the Vortex/windows mixer are fine... I'm still getting the distortion, in the form of clicks, coincident with bass notes/kick drum, in the demo MIDI files included with GS.

Anyone?

There is something very wrong here. Cakewalks meters should be dancing away as Mr Argo says when you play back. That is independant of whatever soundcard you have. And on top of that you have bass distortion on midi playback?

It appears there is a fault somewhere in your midi playback loop, I just don't understand how midi plays back and yet you cannot see the meters moving. They are enabled okay? Right click on the meter and select 60db from the list of options. You wont see cakewalks meters moving on mp3 or wav playback unless they are loaded into cakewalk, so a CD wont move the meters either.

But is GS midi enabled? I thought it could play back audio only? Its either that or something isn't right in your Aureal midi set-up. There has to be a simple explanation here.

Midi is different to mp3 and wav, it is a set of "instructions" to whatever is your midi device to play a certain note at a certain velocity for a certain amount of time......you get the picture. So it is your selected midi device that supplies the "sound". And as its not playing correctly, it could be that is where your problems lie.

Back