Cakewalk 9 Reviews wanted

Henry

Hello All,
I have Cakewalk 9 on the way and was wondering if anyone has any input on the software good or bad. I used Cakewalk 8 but had problems recording audio and gave up to wait for a new revision. My system is a PII/333mhz w/64meg RAM running Win98
SoundBlaster PCI128Card.
I know I need more RAM my question after reading the forum is how much. I read one post listing over 350meg. How much processing speed and memory is required to eliminate drop outs. I don't see myself using more than 16 tracks at any given time but I read of drop outs with only six tracks of audio at over 350meg of ram. Any help or input would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

I have cw proaudio 9.0 on a PIII 450mz, 256meg ram system and I still get dropouts however it depends of course on #of tracks + #of realtime effects you are using (I believe). I think the weakest point is the CPU so you might want to consider upgrading that first. You can check out an mp3 I did using cw 9.0 if you like at www.mp3.com/tentileight

Tentileight, I'm shocked! I have a mere 64 MB of RAM and no problems at 400 MHz on a PII. What the heck are you doing? And what soundcard?

hi Henry, i think the first problem is your sound card soundblaster is more a gaming card then a true audio card...secondly id increase your Ram at least double what you have, I use a Pent3 450 128mgs ram thru a motu 1224 useing cake walk 9 which is a great program...get a new Digital Audio card is my suggestion....gd luck

Dragon,
I use over 30 tracks plus real-time directX plugins (Waves and Cakewalk) When you add reverb or Compression to a track(s), it begins to tax the CPU. More tracks + more effects, uses up cpu % quickly. Of course, I could always use external reverb but I want to do everything on the computer. Any suggestions?

Jim
www.mp3.com/tentileight

You must be new around here...I always have something to say! :)

I'm not sure why you're doing exactly what you're doing, but most of the effects I use get laid down to another track (or two). Then archive the original dry track (so it won't slow down your playback). Now you're not sucking CPU power trying to do real-time effects...and you still have the original dry track (always keep one copy of that!).

And Henry, TordeForce (great name!) is right...a "smart" soundcard takes a lot of load off the CPU and sounds lots better while you're at it.

Try reconfiguring you playback buffers in queue..its made a big difference for me..I set mine to 8.I think that the defualt is 2 or 3. I really didn't know what I was doing, but It has worked great ever since. Does this help cakewalk manage memory more efficiently?

Ahhhh, archiving the track! now that makes sense. I don't know much about the archiving feature but I did read in the book that it does alleviate the cpu (p.s. reading the manual is a good idea it just takes time!). Thanks Dragon!

Davis, my buffers are set to 8 thanks!

and now for some shameless self-promotion!
Check out our mp3 "Walking Away"
www.mp3.com/tentileight

Back