Cakewalk 9 MIDI Debacle!

morningstar

Hey: I finally go the nerve to go from Express 8 to Pro Audio 9. In audio it sounds great. At first the demos would not work, and neither would session drummer clips etc. I got all that working with the excellent support of SoundBlaster Live! Platinum assistance operators. A fine show they run there at Creative.

However, the MIDI still does ZERO. I can not figure it out. It worked effortlessly in Express (with my wife's keyboard). Now: I don't even get Pfffft! What gives, Are I a big idiot or what?

This may help the helper:

1) I have all the Creative Drivers pushed to the top of the options list, and all are highlighted.

2) I always check that stupid mixer to make sure the channel I want I want is selected, and/or not muted.

3) I have all my Creative drivers in the device manager as preferred devices and have instructed the machine to:
(a) use only preferred devices, and
(b) do not map through other (prior) sound drivers.

As for the tracks themselves, I believe I have attempted virtually every combination of source and output port available.

SOMEBODY DIG ME OUT befgore I pull out the last few hairs I have left....

Thanks,

morningstar

I don't know if this'll help, but oh well...

There may be a difference between express, and pro audio (there is, in fact).
You may have done this, but make sure under 'Port' in the track view, you have it set to 'Something-or-other Midi Out'

If you don't have this as an option, make sure it is still selected when you go to Midi Devices, I've seen Pro Audio 8 disable midi devices for no apparent reason, and it still may be a problem in version 9.

Good Luck!

William Underwood

Yeah, check on the track to make sure you've selected midi omni in (or whatever channel you want to record from, although I'd recommend starting with the omni setting if you're having problems) for recording, and your soundcard as the output. Also, in the options list, don't highlight all of the outputs; only highlight the soundcard output and then move it to the top.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

The previous replies were all good. I have a SBLive! with CW9 and I haven't had that
problem. You will want to make sure you have a soundfont loaded into the memory
on your card. A good test after that would be to go to that video keyboard in LiveWare
and click on some of the keys. Doing this will let you know if your sound card is
outputting regardless of the Cakewalk settings. If you have sound from the card in
the keyboard test then your problem probably exist in Cakewalk's settings.

There are two areas to define the proper CW settings. The first should have been set
automatically when you ran Cakewalk for the first time. It is under Options/MIDI
Devices. Go there and make sure your SBLive! Synth is selected and not the
output port. Second, like the folks mentioned before, go to your track and make
sure your port is selected in the same manner. You will want this to indicate
the internal SBLive! sounds (not the SBLive! MIDI out). These are sometimes
labeled, "soundfonts". Also, look at pages 2-11 and 2-20 of your manual.
They'll help out some to. Let us know how ya fair......pete o

Thanks, guys. The basic problem was addressed accurately by replies one and two. I found this out by running the Tutorial No. 1, and it advises the same.

Peter O's advise appears to give me insight into something a bit deeper. This whole "Sound Font" thing is to me a "black box" issue. Sound comes out, but why? Gotta look into this. Vacation started tonight, so....

more later,
Thanks a Million!

morningstar

Back