Buffer size help?

gmoulliet

Hi. I use Cakewalk to record on-location projects with my laptop. I have experienced a problem (sometimes) with Cakewalk while recording continuously for long time periods, such as over 45 min. Someone told me to check my buffer size settings.
Any suggestions???

gmoulliet said:
Hi. I use Cakewalk to record on-location projects with my laptop. I have experienced a problem (sometimes) with Cakewalk while recording continuously for long time periods, such as over 45 min. Someone told me to check my buffer size settings.
Any suggestions???

How about describing the problem you are having. Difficult to tell what the prob might be without knowing what it is.

OK. When I start to record everything looks fine (program running as it should). However, after the session is done and I click the button to stop the recording, I see that Cakewalk has only recorded about 14 or so minutes of the session. Weird, huh?
It seems that the software stopped recording for some reason. I had no indication that the recording process had stopped. No drop outs, etc. In fact, the meter on the task bar continued to run the whole time.
Anything???

I believe there is a 2gb size limit on Wave files. Someone can probably do the calculation for you - depending on how many tracks you are recording simultaneously, and whether they are mono or stereo tracks, and what sample and bit rate you are recording at.

My recollection is that a single, stereo track at 16 bits and 44.1 will run about 10 mb a minute.

Thought about this some more, and since these are individual wave files for each track, you shouldn't be reaching the 2 gb limit in just 14 minutes.

This issue may still have something to do with file size limits, but it's not real clear to me exactly how.

I record no more than 2 tracks (1 left and 1 right to create a sterio sound) at one time. I am recording a school concert band performance. Would this make a difference?

gmoulliet said:
I record no more than 2 tracks (1 left and 1 right to create a sterio sound) at one time. I am recording a school concert band performance. Would this make a difference?

Seems unlikely. What sample rate and bit depth?

Back