Brand New Sonar Won't Install!?

Quasar

:confused: Hi, I just got my brand new Sonar3 SE in the mail, and neither my D (DVDROM) or E (CDRW) drives will open the program. I get the following message:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

My drives have no problems with any other app or music disks. I bought Sonar from an authorized CW dealer and successfully registered it online using the included serial number. When I look at properties, the file system says RAW, and shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. I can see no scratches or anything like that.

Can anyone help?

Michael (Quasar)

What about the other CDs? (CD #2 and #3)

I think you better bring the CDs back to the dealer and have them test it for you. They should replace the CDs if it's broken. Otherwise, call Cakewalk customer care.

;)
Jaymz

Thanks for answering. SE only has 1 disk. I tried it on a machine at work, and it opened up and wanted to install, so the problem has to be with my system configs, (only the day before I installed service pack 2.)

So I know two things:

1)The CD will install on another PC, just not on mine.

2) Other app CDs do fine on my system (have thrown in a bunch.)

So Sonar apparently has a rare or unique installation requirement that my current rig isn't set up for. It's weird.

Quasar

I wouldn't think it would affect installation, but there is a known issue between Sonar and SP2.

This is from the Sonar forum:

Here is some information on the use of SONAR 3 (or earlier versions) with XP SP 2.

SP2 adds a security feature called Data execution prevention (DEP) aka "NX memory" (NX = no execute). The idea is that viruses often enter a computer by coming in via a data buffer, and then injecting code into the data buffer and running that code. SP2 locks that down by only allowing true code pages to be run.

On later model AMD chips (the AMD 64 in particular), NX has hardware support. The chip itself will trigger an exception if a virus tries to run in data memory.

SONAR 3's (and earlier generations) mix engine uses self-generating/modifying code, which is equivalent to code running in data memory. After installing SP2, running SONAR may cause XP to warn about a Windows security problem.

To prevent XP stopping SONAR, go to the system control panel and find the tab where DEP is configured. In there you are allowed to specify applications for which NX can be shut off. If you are using SONAR 3 you will need to add SONARPDR.EXE or SONARSTD.EXE to the list. Choose the appropriate name for the executable file.

You may also configure this via the warning dialog box that XP displays when a it detects DEP. Click Advanced in that dialog to get to the DEP configuration and set it as described above. For more detailed instructions, click the link below and scroll to the bottom of the page.

For more information on the DEP feature in XP SP2 refer to the following Microsoft link:

Detailed description of the data execution prevention feature in Windows XP SP2

Back