Audio tracks slightly out of sync

kylla

Hey all,

I'm having some syncing problems - and it's all of a sudden.

I have, in my Sonar work file, some Midi tracks for ye'ole Korg Triton.

I then have an audio track that contains the drums for the song, which was created in Reason and imported into Sonar as a standard WAV. Fine.

I record the Triton stuff down onto an audio track. When the two audio files (1 drum part from Reason, ther other part all the Triton stuff) are played back together or mixed down or exported, the audio is every so slightly out of sync. As the song goes on, the two audio parts get slightly more out of sync.

This is VERY infuriating, as it hasn't happened before, but now it's happening on many songs.

Any ideas?

Cheers!!

Options Menu _ Audio _ Advanced tab _ Timing Offset

For more details, see my recent post in which I grappled with exactly this problem:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=81426

There's an FAQ on the Cakewalk site regarding the same problem with a similar fix in Cakewalk Pro Audio:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/docs/waveout.asp

I was afraid I would have to doggedly experiment with the offset setting, but I tried it on -1 ms and everything clicked into place perfectly. I don't know how typical this is.

Hope this helps.

kylla, when you tracked the material from the Korg into Sonar, did you sync (midi clock or midi time code) them?

Thanks for your responses.

Wurlitzer, I tried that but to no avail. Either way I set it, the audio and midi are still out of sync. And this is only a new development.. I've been using this soundcard and setup successfully for quite some time. I can't imagine what I've introduced into the picture for this to happen... only DirectX 9.0... hmmm I wonder if that cold be it.

SPINSTERWUN, I recording onto an Audio track in Sonar what the keyboard is playing, so I'm not syncing anything. I go the start of the song, arm an audio track, hit record, and record the Korg like that.

sampling rates?

I encountered a similar problem when i opened a .bun file that someone else gave me. He recorded in 44.1 and I recorded in 48khz. or some variation on that. Sonar will play the wave at whatever sonar's setting is set at (redundant? *grin*). Thus, when all the waves are imported together it sounds rediculous and out of sync.

check to make sure that the all the sample rate of your files and of sonar are all the same. If not, convert them around until they all match. The setting for the sonar sampling rate is under options->audio

Try this and let me know if it works out for ya. :)
-balt

Ta for the thoughts, but all my sampling rates are at 44.1 and besides that, all recordings I am doing at this stage in my project do not have any audio in them when I start; so the track I'm recording is the only audio in the song.

Thanks again though... :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

It seems as if Wurlitzer answer should have solved your problem. :rolleyes:

It just might be The DX 9.0 you installed.

I'm sure we'll find a solution for you. :)

Peace...

spin

I know! :) Wurlitzer's problem sounds the same as mine - over the period of the 5 minute track, the audio gets more and more out of sync...

I'll keep having a play, try Wurlitzer's suggestion again (on a few different songs)...

But any more thoughts are much appreciated!! Thanks for your help! :)

Well, FYI, I downloaded and installed the latest Creative drivers for XP.. and the syncing problems have vanished. Although I usually avoid installing these drivers because the seem to 1) make the recording and playback levels go totally haywire and 2) seem to introduce more hiss into the recording, I don't know how or why but I'm sure it does.

Anyway got that fixed... now I can demo on that and still do my serious recording on me Delta ;)

Back