Audio speed/pitch problem in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

humbuckerdave

I’m having a few problems with audio recording. I have checked every newsgroup I could find, every Cakewalk book worth its salt, the Cakewalk Help file and user’s manual. I am using an 800 Mhz Pentium III, 128 Meg RAM, 20 gig hard drive at 7200 RPM, with a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! PCI soundcard.

I can record audio using a normal, dynamic mic and my Mackie mixer, no problems there. However, when I record audio, save the file as a .bun, burn it to CD (for transport) and take it to my recording studio for mixing, the audio (and MIDI and all events in the bun file) playback at a higher speed and pitch on his system! He is using a 233 Pentium, 2 gig hard drive, not sure of the RAM, though probably 128 meg, Alesis DAT, and some sort of wordclock device.

Conversely, when I take audio tracks that were recorded at his studio and play them on my computer at home, the file plays slowly and below pitch!

What I need to do is record the percussion at his studio, bring it home on CD-R, record vocal tracks at my own home studio (using CWPA9, condenser mic, Mackie mixer for the preamp, and my computer) and then take the .bun back to his studio for mixing/mastering.

How can I record both at his studio and mine without this speed and pitch asynchronization? Why can’t our systems record/playback audio at the same rate and pitch?

I don’t believe that the following are the cause of this problem: MIDI/SMPTE sync (it’s audio data, not MIDI!), timebase (shouldn’t affect audio!), soundcard (we know that both our soundcards work fine independently!), tempo (changing the song’s tempo changed the pitch of the audio, but I need an exact pitch match here, with no guesswork!).

Thanks a ton for your help. I will post your reply to as many newsgroups as I’ve asked for help.

Sounds like your not using the same sample rate...

Make sure that both of you are set up to use the same sample rate and bit depth (44.1 and 16 bit or whatever).

That's the most common cause of what you're describing.

Your system could be recording at 44.1 KHz and he's using 48 or something else.
Good luck, let us know.

-L

Back