Audio doesn't play for a few seconds after pressing play

tomayto

I got a new Win 7 64 computer and put Sonar 7 on it. When I press play, the time starts and the bar starts moving, but many times (not always) sound can't be heard for a second or too and then it kicks in. When recording, the same thing happens...the first few seconds won't be recorded - the clip will be silent at the beginning. I installed the X1 trial and it doesn't have this problem. I'm using a Lexicon FW810s. Never had this problem on Win XP with same setup. Any ideas? I've tried all of the obvious audio options in Sonar and different latencies in the audio interface's own settings.

Thanks

It's supposed to do that. What it's doing is "looking ahead" to do some of the processing. This makes everything play like it's supposed to instead of having latencies like other daw's that will remain unmentioned.

If a new install, probably the count in is enabled, however the metronome defaults to none, so you don't here the ticks.

Go to preferences/project/metronome record count in is at the top of that page, set to zero

Thanks for your replies but still no luck...

@imnotdeafyet: It's not supposed to do that...it only does it about 3 out of 4 times (of hitting play)...Sonar X1 (I had the trial) never did it on this same computer. On my old computer with way, way lower specs it never did that (same interface, same Sonar 7). I've been using Cakewalk software for over 10 years and it has never done this. It's not a slight hesitation, it's literally a few seconds. In WDM driver mode, no problem (but lose most of my inputs). With ASIO4ALL, it works (although clicks and pops at beginning of play).

@Rski, I checked that, it's set to 0.

I reinstalled in XP on my old Dell and it solved the problem. No problem on my HP W7 laptop.

Try reinstalling the Sonar program. Why are you using ASIO4ALL drivers? I recorded fine using ASIO and WDM on my W7 Laptop too. I use a Lexicon U42S. Way fewer drop outs with a 4GB RAM now too.

I don't normally use the ASIO4ALL driver, I was just trying to see if it would resolve this issue. I have a Lexicon FW810s. The wdm drivers work but not all of the inputs are available. Gonna try a reinstall tonight. Thanks.

Reinstall was no help...gonna have to upgrade to X1 I think. Don't want to but this issue is very annoying. Out of ideas!

Back