Archive Question

Albertm

I archived all tracks in a project. I believe thats supposed to clear up c drive space. But when I check properties in My Computer it still says all the Mgs are there. Does archiving clear C space or do I need to bundle and backup and then delete off drive? What do you Sonar guys normally do with past projects?

I can't speak to Sonar, but I backup my Vegas projects and files to CDR or DVD+R. I then manually delete the original files from my hard drive, sometimes followed by a defrag.

Albertm said:
I archived all tracks in a project. I believe thats supposed to clear up c drive space. But when I check properties in My Computer it still says all the Mgs are there. Does archiving clear C space or do I need to bundle and backup and then delete off drive? What do you Sonar guys normally do with past projects?
What archiving? To me that means make a copy to a safe place, not that it has to remove the orginal.

I agree that the term "archiving" used as it is by Cakewalk is not what one typically thinks of as "archiving" (that is, putting something away in an archive somewhere). In SONAR-land archiving means a kind of hard muting of tracks.

From the help:

When a track is muted, SONAR processes the track while playback is in progress so that you can unmute the track without stopping playback. If you have lots of muted tracks, this can place a heavy load on your computer. Archived tracks, on the other hand, don't place any load on your computer. Therefore, if there are tracks you want to keep but don't need to play, you should archive them instead. Archived tracks are indicated by the letter A in the Mute button that is displayed in the Track and Console views.

I just have to make the snide comment that it always amazes me how often people come straight to this or another forum and ask questions that are very clearly spelled out within the manual and the online help. Is it really that hard to look things up in the docs?

AlChuck said:
I agree that the term "archiving" used as it is by Cakewalk is not what one typically thinks of as "archiving" (that is, putting something away in an archive somewhere). In SONAR-land archiving means a kind of hard muting of tracks.
It never even occurred to me he could even have meant that.
Albertm, back to you now. ;)

If you mean backing up, I do that via second external hard drive or DVD.DVD being more perminant and cheaper. Do you mean more of how do we make safety copies? Or do you mean how do we store active projects in order to save disc space.
Jim

Albertm said:
AlChuck is correct. it doesnt take anything off of a hard drive, archiving just doesnt make those tracks active in Sonar.

to add to what AlChuck is saying, archiving is like a hard muting, in that those tracks do not stream at all. If you mute a track, it is still streaming through the disk because it can be unmuted while playback is going. When you archive a track in Sonar, you have to stop the playback and unarchive it to use the track again.

alchuck, I did read the manuel. It says to save hard drive space use Archiving method. But it didnt seem to do that, so it was confusing so I thought I'd ask. cawhite really cleared it up for me, the difference between mute and archive.
jmorris, I did mean both. I want to have safety backup and than clear it off C drive to create more space.

alchuck, I did read the manuel. It says to save hard drive space use Archiving method.

Where does it say that? All I see in it is where it says that having lots of muted tracks "puts a heavy load" on your computer and that archiving tracks lessens the load.

cawhite really cleared it up for me, the difference between mute and archive.
???
All he did was repeat what I already said and what I pasted there from the SONAR help file (even though he began his post with "to add to what AlChuck is saying...") and he gets the credit for clearing it up?
Jeeesh. ;)

On page 113. It reads that it puts a load on computer. So I thought that meant if you archive, it would actually create space on drive. Sorry alchuck, cawhites explanation just hit home better when he "added" more info to your answer. But thanks to you all... :o

Back