Anyone using cakewalks VST-DX wrapper?

VTgreen81

I'd like to be able to use VST, it seems that there's tons more shareware for VST available, but I've heard Cakewalk's wrapper is not that good. Any other comments?

wrapper

Yeah, I have heard that, too, and I suspect there's some truth to it. I have installed it on my Sonar 3, but have not yet had a chance to use it, except that I do think it had an error loading, which I have not yet confirmed.

Nonetheless, I did just happen to check out the cakewalk site and apparently they have an upgrade wrapper available for download, just this past week or two. I think it is now v.4.1.2 ???

Also, there are a few good threads exactly on this subject on the cakewalk Sonar forum.

www.cakewalk.com then go to SONAR's forum and search, or browse "VST", "VST Wrapper", or "VSampler (which has some posts about the wrapper in it)."

I've been using it since before cakewalk bought it. I've had some trouble with it, though it's hard to tell whether it's the wrapper's fault or the fault of a poorly coded VST. Honestly, 95% of the time it works fine. And it's the best money I've ever spent; most of my favorite plugs are VST freeware. You won't regret getting it if you do, problems or otherwise.

Could it be the wrapper crashing Sonar when I run the B4 demo from Native Instruments? It's the only vst thing I run. (If interested, you can download B4 here http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?b4_us )

Take some midi. Have VSampler play at least one track. Have B4 play another. Everything is fine. You can play for hours. Then start Sonar looping a section of the music. As soon as it's time to do the first repeat, it crashes. Goes into complete slow motion, even ctrl alt del take minutes before responding.

I have had this happen with Rolans VSC too (and B4), trying to change a patch in VSC resulted in the same crash. Not even an audio drop out do you get. Just the crash. And what is different is B4 and it runs through the wrapper.

I am leaning towards buying the B4 and that will give me a patch to make it a dxi. Only it would be disappointing if if it still crashed after that.

i have used the VST wrapper in sonar 3 a lot with VST and VSTi's and have never encountered a problem. very useful

Tom

FWIW. I have the NI Komplete 2 package which includes the B4. The B4 can be installed and run either as DXI or VST wrapper. I've tried both, but run the DXi version. It seems to be more stable, and less cpu drain.
It has worked flawlessly for me.

John

Thanks. I have changed my mind a couple of times today. Heard Sampletank 2 and liked it, thought there were some decent B3's there to fill my need. So maybe not B4, anyway. Then coming back to research the Sampletank thing, I found out they have a stupid copy protection scheme. Sometimes you keep using a program for 10 years. Not so with Sampletank. There will be no one to authorize your install in 2014. So maybe B4, still. Or does it too have a hardware specific copy protection?

Tom

NI has "kind of a stupid copy protection" You have to hit their web site to register with the product serial number. They then send you a "key" to the product, which "unlocks" the product for use on your computer.
You can then back up the "key" to CD and you have total install availability on your computer only. If you change out your computer you have to do the process over again.
That's the way I understand it, but have not gone through the process to test it out.

John

So B4 is also out of the game. How I love Cakewalk and VSampler. No complicated copy protection. I have just ordered the Sonar 4 update and will keep supporting them. I might go and buy Sampletank 2, but not before I have a safe backup, i.e. a cracked version it seems.

Sorry, about getting off topic here.

If we're talking B3 emulators, it's worth mentioning ZR-3 and NUBI, both freeware plugs that sound decent. Depends how finicky you are. Worth a try, anyway.

Fantastic. The Nubi is very interesting. The ZR-3 can't keep up with the rest of the midi band playing. It simply lags behind. Which takes us back to the main topic since this is a vst plug-in. Is it the vst-dx converter causing this or what?

Plug-in. I am testing this from my laptop that I also use for Internet access. Right now I am just using Roland VSC for the other instruments. Shouldn't be too demanding. I have more stuff on my DAW, but I only access the Internet from it when updating Windows and such.

EDIT: It is not like the ZR-3 just lags behind by some msecs, it also messes up the rhythm in what it's playing. As a sign of not coping with speed I guess.

Back