Another alternative for MS GM Wavetable?

drathbun

As I said in another thread, I've finally got my Sonar 3 Prod. working. One thing I'm wondering about now is how to use the WDM drivers on my M-Audio Audiophile without losing the MIDI functions. I have an OLD OLD Yamaha PF2000 keyboard (weighs about 100lbs!) but I don't like ANY of its sounds.

When using Sonar 2.1 I would use the MME drivers and use the MIDI for the metronome and now and then drop a few pad-type background notes using the Wavetable/Roland sounds (synth strings and stuff).

I've found a workaround by using the WDM drivers for everything and just switching to the MME driver when I need the MIDI - record back in to and audio track and then go back to the WDM driver. But it is a pain having to go through the wave profiler each time and reload the program. I also lose the metronome for recording in WDM.

Is there a better solution than this cludgy workaround?

Thanks for your help!

Why not use a DXi?

It won't work for the metronome, though. :(

However, you could invest $10 or so in Ping - an audio metronome. Or create your own metronome using a DXi and midi looping.

Get a soundcard with a midi synth and just use it for midi.
Get a cheap drum machine and just use it for the Metronome Sound.
Get Ping DXi.
Upgrade to Sonar 4 which has a built in Metronome sound (finally!).

Only midi output devices can be assigned to the Metronome (not mentioning the pc speaker option). The MS synth uses Windows part of your WDM driver and this has to be shut off when the driver is being used in WDM/KS mode, this is why it only works in MME mode.

Short answer is DXi!

With soundcard such as Audiophile, you should never use MME anymore! Stick with WDM or ASIO. DXi works with either driver. Dig deeper in your manual, it covers pretty well about how to use DXi as your MIDI synth.

To make metronome, just line up a measure of drum notes (usualy hihat), copy paste all thru the song length. There you go...

;)
Jaymz

By saying Sonar 2 and 3, then you must have many DXi bundled with them. ie. DR-008, VSampler, VSC, etc. Those can be used to playback MIDI.

Hint: on Sonar, Insert --> DXi synth --> VSC.

Back here if you have any problem... :)

;)
Jaymz

Boy you guyz are fast! Thanks for your quick replies. I guess it is a question of sticking with what you know works and not looking further until you are pressed. I haven't used MIDI enough to dig into it. I never liked the MIDI metronome in Sonar anyway - it never seemed to line up with what I was seeing/hearing and it would lag just enough to throw you off.

Just a follow up here... what the advantages/disadvantage of ASIO over WDM?

drathbun said:
I never liked the MIDI metronome in Sonar anyway - it never seemed to line up with what I was seeing/hearing and it would lag just enough to throw you off.
No wonder, that's because you used Microsoft GS with MME driver... Latency is pretty high. Difficult to line up...

drathbun said:
Generaly, they're almost equal. ASIO is introduced by Steinberg, while WDM introduced by Microsoft as an update of their old MME driver. Some claims ASIO handles multitrack project better, while some claims WDM gives slightly lower latency (like you can hear the difference :D )... Anyway, one machine likes ASIO, different machine likes WDM. Both are good... just try yourself.

;)
Jaymz

drathbun said:

It's really more a matter of how well the drivers for your sound card have been written. Some sound card manufacturers seem to have better ASIO drivers, while others have better WDM.

Of course with others it doesn't matter much since both are good, or both suck (ahem, Soundblaster).

Last edited:
Back