XT20: 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz,which one to use?

bluesallday

I have an xt20 adat.Which do I set it for 48 or 44.1,what are the differences and what do they mean anyway?I just have a home studio where I mix the adat down to a cd recorder.

I have an xt20 adat.Which do I set it for 48 or 44.1,what are the differences and what do they mean anyway?I just have a home studio where I mix the adat down to a cd recorder.

The numbers refer to the sampling rate (in kHz) being used.
If mixing through an analog console, I'd use 48kHz. If digitally transferring to a computer for editing & mixing, use the audio CD rate of 44.1.

You should probably record at the highest resolution the XT20 will record, which is 20 bit, 48k. I think the XT20 sounds better at 48k, compared to 44.1.

Thanks,I thought the higher rate would be better.

CD is 16/44.1

If you're going from the XT to CD via a digital interface you should use 16/44.1 while recording tracks on the XT. The digital down conversion process from 20/48 to 16/44.1 negates any advantage of recording at 20/48. If you’re using the analog out of the XT20 to the analog in of the CD recorder then yes record at 20/48.

Audio degradation from digital-to-digital conversion is generally worse than analog-to-digital conversion. Avoid converting up or down in the digital domain as much as you can.

Yep,everything is pretty much analog.From xt20 analog outs I'm going to an analog mixer and outs to the cd recorder analog inputs.Nothing fancy.Thanks for the info!

Back