Working directly with MIDI

syzygyn

Will the MIDI output of any Alesis processor be identical to its analog output for direct MIDI input into my DAW? If not, does Digitech have any product that can?

Not sure what you mean? MIDI is simply data - the output from an analogue output on a processor is audio. The output from the MIDI socket is data. The MIDI outputs and inputs on interfaces are for getting the data in from keyboards, drum pads, and all the other gizmos - the audio is created inside your computer.

What are you hoping to do? No music or sound of any kind comes from a MIDI connection.

Thanks for your attention. My aim is to output MIDI text to my DAW from the Alesis (or any other sound processor) that represents the processed sound. Ideally, I would like monitor what I'm recording.

Can you name a couple processors you want to try this with. Usually audio processed through a 'processor' does not generate MIDI data, although an exception might be a vocal harmony processor that generates MIDI harmony notes based on the audio signal that are sent to a keyboard.

I tried this with a GSP21 and it didn't work. I don't know why but I guess it's because its MIDI command set is not complete and not because the input wasn't a voice. I suspect the same problem would occur with a Digitech IPS33 of the same era. The general idea is to output the sound from the input while simultaneously sending the encoded MIDI of that sound to my computer DAW. It seems all that would be necessary is a MIDI encoder routed out the MIDI out port. Evidently it's not so simple.

"Evidently it's not so simple".

I have been using midi since before the turn of the century, and I am struggling to understand what you are trying to do. I have a feeling there is a language problem.

However, I think I understand your 'general idea'. I have recorded simultaneously the audio output of my piano and the midi. The midi goes via midi cable to the interface midi input, and the audio goes into a couple of line in channels, then both into separate tracks in the DAW.

I can play back the DAW audio just fine. With the midi, to be able to hear something I either have to direct the track midi output back to the interface and then to the piano, or load a virtual instrument onto that track.

Okay, let me try to be clearer. I have a computer DAW with analog inputs. I can receive analog sound and encode those to MIDI to save and edit on my computer and then export (decode) them back to sound output. Nothing new here. What I am trying to do differently is take in the audio from a sound processor (pre-amp) directly as a fully described MIDI while I output normally to an amp/speaker. In your example, your piano is the MIDI source but what I need is a processor that will encode the processed analog input to MIDI and deliver it to the MIDI OUT port. Whatever the input, bass, guitar or voice, needs to be encoded to MIDI before it reaches my computer.

Back