Update on Alesis Multimix usb 2.0

buryher17

Hey guys, I recently bought the Alesis Multimix USB 2.0 and I've done about 6 demos so far with it in the last month or so and I must say, for anyone who doesn't want to fork out a couple grand for a digi003 or the higher end m-audio products (or whatever good mixers are out there) this mixer is for you.

For $500 this sounds like it's 2 or 3 times more than what it's worth. Setting up couldn't be easier! It took me about 5 seconds to get the drivers installed, and get the whole thing set up. All you have to do is go in the VST properties and enable the channels 1-18 and you're set.

So far I haven't gotten a chance to record with all 16 tracks at once, but I've used 10 at once so far recording a durm kit. I Had the phantom power on, with pre's on 3 channels, a sound enhancer on another, and an EQ on another as well and It handled amazingly. No lagging, No cutting out. It works like a charm.

The cubase program it comes with is very simple to use as well. I have been using LE for a good amount of time before so I already knew how to work it but the LE4 is basically the same thing just more "futuristic".

So overall I suggest using this mixer. I know I haven't mentioned eveyrhting about the mixer due to not enough time, but if anyone wants anymore info just ask. I would definately suggest to get this mixer.

:D

Couple questions:

Does it transfer every track individually?
Can you use it for mixing/EQing "post recording"?
How are the built in preamps? Can you shut them off?

I'm looking for a something multichannel to do drums and stuff.

Couple questions:

Does it transfer every track individually?
Can you use it for mixing/EQing "post recording"?
How are the built in preamps? Can you shut them off?

I'm looking for a something multichannel to do drums and stuff.

1. yes, there is up to 20 tracks that can be recorded at once onto seperate tracks on cubase (or other programs it's compatable with)

2. no you can't unfortunately.. the effects built in have to be used prior to the recording. but thats what vsts are for :]

3. the built in pre's are actually REALLY nice. for the money you cant do better. And you can turn on/off the phantom power. but it has no noise :]

Good to hear that 2.0 doesn't condense tracks. Now I can stop saying "but I'm not sure about 2.0" all the time :).

On the post EQ thing. There is actually some tinkering around that can be done there. A friend of mine uses his 16 channel firewire one and does some routing so he can use external stuff. He called Alesis and they told him how to set it up. So you might give them a call to make sure before you give up on that entirely.

Good to hear that 2.0 doesn't condense tracks. Now I can stop saying "but I'm not sure about 2.0" all the time :).

On the post EQ thing. There is actually some tinkering around that can be done there. A friend of mine uses his 16 channel firewire one and does some routing so he can use external stuff. He called Alesis and they told him how to set it up. So you might give them a call to make sure before you give up on that entirely.

What I want is to be able to mix with the faders and knobs physically rather than digitally in the DAW...I couldn't care less about the built in effects. Can this interact with DAWs to do something like that?

I wasn't talking about the alesis' effects. But external gear. But if you're asking if the alesis can act as a controller for your daw, then no. Not sure, but sounded like you meant turning up a fader on the alesis and it then automatically turning up the fader in your DAW.

Back