Programming Alesis QS 6.1, 7.1, 8.1 Simplified

Buckmeister

ALESIS QS 6.1, 7.1, 8.1 PROGRAMMING
Decide whether to rename a Program (one voice) or create / modify a Mix (two or more voices)
IF PROGRAM: (Can’t be changed, but can be copied and renamed)
Pick an existing Program sound to use from the factory Programs library, copy it to new unused channel on the USER Bank or memory card by pressing STORE and use <BANK> and number buttons or use Slider D. Press STORE again. Change Name, per below.

IF MIX: (Can be customized and split, layered, and adjusted)
Pick an existing factory Mix to use in Mix libraries on USER Bank or card, depending on whether 2 or 3 channels are desired, and trying to use existing voices and /or split ranges in mix to advantage for new mix. Copy it to new unused channel on the USER Bank or card by pressing STORE and use <BANK> and number buttons or use Slider D. Press STORE again. Press MIX to exit. Change Name, per below.

TO CHANGE VOICES IN MIX:
Select Ch 1 of the Mix by using <PAGE> so that the “1” in lower left blinks; dial in the desired new Program voice from any card / channel; press STORE 2x. Press MIX to exit.
Repeat for subsequent channel(s) in the Mix.

TO SET RANGE for SPLITS / OVERLAP IN MIX:
Use <PAGE> to get Ch 1 blinking, press EDIT SELECT; Press 110 (RANGE); use <PAGE> to toggle to “LoLimit”. Press 110 and desired low pitch of the range simultaneously. Toggle to “HiLimit” and press 110 and highest key for desired range. Press STORE 2x and press MIX to exit. Repeat for each channel.

TO SET LEVELS OF VOICES: (to enhance or suppress a voice in the mix)
Use <PAGE> to get Ch 1 blinking, press EDIT SELECT; Press 60 (LEVEL). Toggle with <PAGE> to get to Level and use Slider D to set number up to 99. Press STORE 2x and MIX to exit. Repeat for other channels as desired.

TO CHANGE NAME OF PROGRAM OR MIX:
Press EDIT SELECT; Press 120 (NAME); use cursor (<PAGE>) and Slider D to type in new name by letter; press STORE 2x, being sure to send it to the desired / existing new channel. Press PROG or MIX to exit.

^ If any of this fails, the battery may be dead. 3V coin type. No mention of this in manual or on-line.

Thank you very much for the very accessible explanation, especially for me the description of voice level setting is useful. I'll try it on my Alesis QS 8.1.

Back