HD24 Hard Drives re-visited

wilkee

After doing some more tests on my HD24 I can cofirm that it was the actions of the unit that caused the 2 new drives to malfunction. I have just replicated this fault using a 60gb Exelstor drive (IBM) and again I have ended up with a drive that is useless.

My original Maxtor (30gb) drives still work perfectly in the HD24.
All I can say is that at the moment KEEP AWAY from IBM drives.

This has nothing to do with jumpers etc. etc. it is a fault with the HD24 which may only be my unit.

Tony

Wow, that sucks. We use Seagate and Maxtors at uni, they've only had the HD24 about a year but no-one's mentioned any hard drive failures.

Hi Noisy, yes I am not too pleased about it. Have just ordered 2 off Maxtor drives, see how they get on!!

Tony

I've always been warned off IBM drives by people on computer nerdy forums anyway. I ordered a new Maxtor yesterday, even though the Hitachi (IBM) ones were a bit cheaper.

Hey wilkee
Thanks for the update as well as heads up on the IBM drives.
I was following this thread to see your finding.

I found out the hard way that the HD24 wouldn’t use smaller drives. I have several customers in to record 1 or 2 Karaoke style recordings using only 3 or 4 tracks etc.
They sometimes want to buy the drive and I don't want to sell a 10 gig drive that's hardly used so I bought a box of 2.5 gig drives for just this client. And wouldn't you know it they won't work in the HD24.
So I'm forced to transfer files to computer and dump the files to my external drive caddie. One extra step but the 2.5 gig drives won't go unused this way.
Thanks again

C

Have now installed 2 new 40gb Maxtors and they formatted and loaded first time. It will be a long time before I try Hitachi (IBM) drives in my HD24 again although the replacement Hitachi (IBM) drives are working perfectly in some external USB drive caddies that I have for backup.

Tony

The main problem I had was as well as not mounting the drive it actually ruined them in the process.

Tony

wilkee said:
The main problem I had was as well as not mounting the drive it actually ruined them in the process.

Tony
I never checked mine after they didn't mount... I just returned the drives to the store, so I don't know if they were ruined or not. I wish I knew why the newer Western Digital drives don't work. :confused:

Back