Have you ever replaced an Idler wheel?

Dom Franco

One of my ADAT's (The oldest one) will suddenly kick out of recording mode into "PLAY" I have read that this is a sign of the idler wheel being worn.

Have any of you replaced on yourself? Had one replaced when serviced?

It look's like a simple job, but....?

Thanks ;

Dom Franco

I've replaced one on our old black face adat. Pretty simple, but make sure you got good lighting, cause there's a little spring under the wheel, and it'll pop out if if your not carefull. The spring popped out on me and I played hell finding it. Hope that helps.

They don't really stress the point too much in the manual, but the idler wheel is supposed to be changed as often as you do the regular head maintenance (about every 250-500 hours).

The head cleaning is more time-consuming than the idler wheel replacement... idler's easy (at least, it is for an XT20)! And it is very important - saves a lot of of transport issues if you change it when it's supposed to be changed!

Hey - don't complain - the ADAT is still less maintenance than a 24-track analog!!! ;)

:D

Bruce

Alesis Guy

Hi, Dom Franco,

Do you have Microsoft Word? If you do, send me your email address either here or at mnicoletti@alesis.com, and I will email the Idler Wheel Replacement Instructions doc. I cannot attach a Word doc here.....hint hint to the Administrator ;)

thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike!

It's good to have an "ALESIS GUY" for a friend!

Thanks for all the help on the Idler wheel, and instructions.:D

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

Alesis had another (unexpected) round of layoffs today and this time I was not so lucky.....so my posts from now on will be as a user and not employee...

Dom, I think my last official act was entering your order for the idler wheel kit. :) But it's backordered :(

Thanks,

Mike

I am sad for you, and wish you well in your new future. Its a shame (aside from you having to find a new opportunity/employer) because dispite a lot of the negative press about ADAT maintanence I had great luck with my eight blackfaces before I sold them a few months ago. They were well built, quite reliable, and easy to self-service.

Best of luck! You should apply for a job at Akai, they need some serious technical expertise. :)

mnicoletti said:
Alesis had another (unexpected) round of layoffs today and this time I was not so lucky.....so my posts from now on will be as a user and not employee...

Dom, I think my last official act was entering your order for the idler wheel kit. :) But it's backordered :(

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks to Mike the (former) Alesis Guy!

Thanks to Mike the (former) Alesis Guy, He sent me the part and I was able to replace the Idler wheel. It was so simple... The Calibration took a little longer.

ADAT'S have a brake calibration procedure that is explained in the back of the manual. I was so happy when the calibration was done and there were no more ERRORS! The little red asterisk stopped flashing. Now I wonder If the problem was the Idler wheel at all?

Next time I'll try the calibration procedure and a simple cleaning.

Thanks again Mike!

Dom Franco

Back